Thread: Polaroid 405 holder image frame position

Polaroid 405 holder image frame position

I have a Polaroid 405 holder (for Fuji FP100c) and what surprises me about it is the position of the image frame.

It is not in the middle (of the larger 4x5 frame) where I would expect it to be but on the side.

Is this common for all compatible pack film holders or do some of them have a different design where the frame is more in the middle?

Intrepid Camera

Re: Polaroid 405 holder image frame position

Quote Originally Posted by erian View Post
    I have a Polaroid 405 holder (for Fuji FP100c) and what surprises me about it is the position of the image frame.

It is not in the middle (of the larger 4x5 frame) where I would expect it to be but on the side.

Is this common for all compatible pack film holders or do some of them have a different design where the frame is more in the middle?
    Hello Erian, this is the design on both the pack film holders for FP film, (405 and PA-145) I draw a couple of lines on the ground glass with pencil to mark out the actual film position, a friend uses masking tape to block out the area that doesn't get exposed. Either way its a great film to shoot with, just takes a little adjustment in your composition process

The film holder designed for use for the polaroid MP4 is centered--you can use it in most 4x5 cameras if you pull off the two side pins.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Grew View Post
    Hello Erian, this is the design on both the pack film holders for FP film, (405 and PA-145) I draw a couple of lines on the ground glass with pencil to mark out the actual film position, a friend uses masking tape to block out the area that doesn't get exposed. Either way its a great film to shoot with, just takes a little adjustment in your composition process
    Thanks! Yes, it is a great film indeed. I got it for myself to speed up my learning process.

How did you determine the actual location of the film? My best idea so far has been to take a shot and then eyeball the location of the one side and the measure from there.

I think I will make a mask out of the paper for the film location.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Baleur View Post
    The film holder designed for use for the polaroid MP4 is centered--you can use it in most 4x5 cameras if you pull off the two side pins.
    Interesting. Do you happen to know the name/type of such holder? Could it be Polaroid CF72A?

I'm wondering the same thing! I've been having problems nailing the composition. Anyone have ideas for creating an accurate mask?

the Polaroid 405 came with a template that was meant to be mounted over the ground glass to indicate the edges of the actual frame. Yes, it is remarkably off center.

I've got one of those templates, came with a back I purchased like new. I'll try and dig it out over the weekend and post the critical dimensions. I just marked the ground glass.

Google-Fu!

Heeeyaaa!

Mask

P.S. print at 100% scale
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

Quote Originally Posted by erian View Post

How did you determine the actual location of the film? My best idea so far has been to take a shot and then eyeball the location of the one side and the measure from there.
    That's what I did. I aimed the camera at something I could easily compare to after the shot and then put marks on the ground glass where the edges ended up.