Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which LF 180mm lens would you buy?

Re: Which LF 180mm lens would you buy?

Thanks for all the input. I ended up with a nice Rodenstock Sironar N MC 180mm f5.6 and i hope that I like it.
    I have vintage Wollensak 9 inch f4 Verito diffused focus for portraits, but it is really heavy.
    Time will tell.
    J

Dave Karp

I think that you will be very happy with that lens. I have the 210mm Caltar II-N version (same design). Of all of the modern lenses in this category from the big four, the Rodenstock lenses have the nicest out of focus characteristics. Most of the time, I am trying to get as much as I can looking sharp, but when I want shallow depth of field with an out of focus background, I always notice how nice the Rodenstock lenses look. (I also have a 150mm.)

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    For me it's a no-brainer because I've standardized on lightwieght: The Fujinon A 180mm f/8. Yes it's a bit dimmer than the f/5.6 versions but its small, lightweight has a more than adequate image circle and is a superb performer. Did I mention it was small and lightweight?

Best,

Doremus
    +1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by durr3 View Post
    I just bought a Chamonix 4x5 and I want a 180mm lens for it as my GO TO lens.
    I may ask, why do you want a 180 as a GO TO lens ? What kind of photographs are you prone to do ?

The Fujinon A is 170grs, but f/8. The rest are f/5.6 but around 400gr. The Sironar-S has 276mm circle, the Fuji is 252...

Of the 180mm choices here http://www.largeformatphotography.in...s/LF4x5in.html all are good enough, just weight, aperture, circle and price. The Sironar-S is the fanciest, with some ED glass, but more expensive.

I would make just the same photograhs with any of them.

Drew Wiley

The Fuji 180 A is a real gem. Tiny and better corrected than any general-purpose plasmat.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    The Fuji 180 A is a real gem. Tiny and better corrected than any general-purpose plasmat.
    Drew, not as tiny, but the Nikon SW 90 f/8 performed excellent in the C. Perez benchmark

f/11 80 80 60

yes, a DIY test, but if he was reading 80Lp/mm... (and there is the sample to sample variation... )

Just pointing that there are a lot of well corrected lenses around.