Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Ending Film camera sales + print fading challenge

Ending Film camera sales + print fading challenge

That's all he'll do Paul....change the subject. He's been caught again and it drives him crazy. It's become tiring watching him squirm all the time.

I'm off to our cottage for 3 weeks to lounge around the lake. I'll probably finish the coding for our website to allow Jorge to criticize my real work rather than blathering on about a few point and shoot snapshots I did for a friend. I wouldn't expect anything less of him.

Bye guys....enjoy the rest of August.

Caught? by you? LOL........

Jorge;

These guys seem to have it in for you. I worked for 30 years with the USEPA and developed regulations under the following ACTS

1. Hazardous waste disposal under RCRA. I conducted testing on landfills, chemical, biological and physical disposal methods and all of the work on Incineration for 8 years.

2. Developed federal permits for PCB destruction by chemical processes and incineration under TSCA.

3. Developed the 503 waste water sludge recycle and disposal regulations, specifically Subpart E-Incineration and thermal disposal methods under the 1977 amendments to the CWA. The whole Congressional Intent for the 1977 amendments was to drive tightening of effluent guidelines from all industrial discharges.

4. Developed a number of toxic emissions regulations under the CAA 1990 Ammendments for Copper Smelting, Wood preservation, sludge incinerators (emphasis on dixions), Magnesium Manufacturing, etc.

5. Lectured to Graduate Students at Howard University in the Civil Engineering Department.

Wrote three books on hazardous wate disposal.

Consulted for many national and international industries on hazardous waste permitting and incinerator designs.

In all that 30 years, I don't remember ever finding silver as a problem pollutant. Enough of any material, except water, will kill bugs in secondary Activated Sludge plants. Most of you have silver in your mouth, and the mercury in your fillings are of the greatest concern.

I'm doing both silver printing, digital from film and digital capture. Silver is harder. Digital is easy.

See my work at http://genecrumpler.home.att.net

Jorge struggled with some of my CFR Federal Standards while at Rollins Environmental:>)

Abuser of God's Sunlight

I'll put one of my fauxtograf posteurs, or whatever anyone wants to call them, next to anyone's platinum prints.

Not with the goal of winning a pissing contest, and yes, with the complete acknowledgement that this is a change of subject ... I'll do it to demonstrate the pointlessness of these comparisons. Good work is good work. I stand behind what I do, and people are free to judge it any way they like.

And you're right, Jorge, learning a raster image program doesn't take a mental giant. Neither does mixing chemicals, coating papers, or contact printing. But doing either of them well takes a lot of learning and a lot of work. If you were unable to get results you liked from one of the processes in question, I'm not sure whose side of the argument that supports. but it doesn't sound like it's yours.

No, the issue is whether I know enough about making ink jet posters and being able to choose to follow a different process based in this knowledge. The best proof that I can offer is with the "final product." It really does not take a mental giant to learn about raster image process programs, monitor calibration programs, working with layers and masks in PS, etc, etc.

Look, Jorge, it's really very simple. You stated that "Learning how to control real photographic materials is harder" than learning to use digital materials.

You further stated "you assume that I know nothing about ink jet printing or how to use Photoshop, as usual your assumption is wrong. "

And you further took people to task, suggesting that they not write about something they know nothing about.

So I've asked you - is this subject (the relative difficulty of learning to use traditional materials versus the difficulty of digital materials) something you know something about?

It's not about final product, or whether your art is better than my art, or even whether your chosen set of materials (pt/pd printing) is better than my set of chosen materials (scanning and inkjet printing). It just boils down to whether or not you have any significant experience that would allow you to make authoritative statements about the relative difficulty of learning to use traditional materials versus the difficulty of learning to use digital materials.

You've often put people down, claiming that they don't know what they're talking about. You've repeatedly insisted that other people meet your standards for proof of competence.

So, Jorge - show us your credentials and exhibition history.

Yeah Gene, but is good to see them here making fools of themselves talking about things they dont know. I sure did strugle with your standards, but then thanks to you and the permit you wrote for Rollins on TSCA they were paying me a lot of money to route disposal, so in a sense I owe my early retirement to you.. :-)

Neither does mixing chemicals, coating papers, or contact printing. But doing either of them well takes a lot of learning and a lot of work. If you were unable to get results you liked from one of the processes in question, I'm not sure whose side of the argument that supports. but it doesn't sound like it's yours.

Nice try Paul, first I never said it was dificult to learn the chemistry part. But you and Butzi imply that learning how to make a good ink jet poster is only for the gifted. NOT!

Finally someone takes my challange! just choose who you want for us to send the prints and it will be in the mail this week. I hope you will play fair and not choose Butzi or the printing tech, we all know where their bias lies. Maybe Kirk Gittins would volunteer..... :-)

Abuser of God's Sunlight

"What about your printer, your computer you keep updating every 3 years, your extra memory. All of this is far more damaging that the chips made for 35 mm cameras."

What about them? I'd have a computer and a printer even if I never used them for photography. Just like you do. Unless you've found a way to get online using a contact printing frame and a foil hat. The computer I'm sitting at right now is from 1999, and has a 600MB photoshop file grinding away ever so slowly in the background. I'm not rich enough to be a big polluter just yet.

"Let me remind you that the EPA made effluents from household streams exempt from regulation precisely because they dont represent any problems for treatment."

No, they made them exempt because they're impossible to enforce. I know this from conversations with the EPA. It's much easier (although demonstrably innefective) to let the small darkrooms pollute freely while holding the big labs to extrememly tough standards for allowable silver concentration.

"As a chemist I know far better than you the effects of the chemistry in bacterial breakdown, and I will tell you that with exception of the fixer, the rest of the chemicals are in fact beneficial for bacteriological breakdown."

I've seen plenty of research suggesting this isn't so, but at any rate, fixer's all I was talking about. All these processes use fixer, and we have darkrooms a-go-go that don't recover their silver and just dump it all down the drain.

Gene, I don't think you'll have too much trouble finding information on the silver related problems they were having in Colorado Springs. I think it was the local DEP that was dealing with it.

LOL...Paul, you keep repeating yourself, you will keep getting the same answers. You chose to believe I know nothing about ink jet printing, fine with me. I dont care and as I wrote I am under no obligation to prove myself to you. All I have is the final product, you claim the final product is what matters, put your money where your mouth is.

Paulr, why bother arguing with you on something I am confident you know nothing about? You are right in all counts Paul, happy now?

Abuser of God's Sunlight

I propose we take up a collection for the "Get Jorge Laid" fund. If that doesn't put an end to these threads, I don't know what will.

"You chose to believe I know nothing about ink jet printing, fine with me."

Yawn....

We don't choose to believe.....we just quoted you saying it. Man your circular reasoning is hilarious.

Goodnight.