Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031

Thread: Ending Film camera sales + print fading challenge

Ending Film camera sales + print fading challenge

Shucks Kirk,

You'd place priority on 2 galleries and your book over us guys? Best of luck on the showings and your book.

Regards,

A few people have emailed me about the dye based sample I've also done.

Here are a couple of photos showing the display situation in our reading room and dining area. You'll note on the back wall of the reading room is a 20x30 pigment based print behind glass that is a few years old already....with no fading.

Here are the room photos (excuse the quick stitch job) as well as the sample. The photo on the left and right were printed up on a Canon i9100 on Canon Glossy paper using their brand ink. This is probably the worst case scenerio as for longevity, Canon glossy & dye based ink are noted to be only a few years.

The photo on left was placed in an archive box in storage, room temperature. The photo on right was placed on the side cabinet in the dining area directly exposed to the room air....although not direct sunlight. These prints are nearly exactly 2 years old. As you can see, I would estimate about a 5% dip in density. However, the photo on left, which was stored as a photo albulm may be, completely matched the copy I just printed 24 hours ago. Thus, in an album.....no fading for dye based ink in 2 years.

Dave,
    Must be that clean Canadian air and the weak northern sunlight.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Abuser of God's Sunlight

"Maybe what we'll do is get a a general consensus as to the display conditions before we start the test, ie:"

just remember that you're trying to simulate decades of normal viewing conditions, not actually wait decades for the results. which suggests that conditions need to be exagerated. unless you you have some kind of full spectrum fluorescent or xenon bulbs (and a big electricity budget), some amount of direct sun is probably the only way.

Not as clean as I'd like, but hey, beats my few years in Toronto. This was completely unscientific, of course. The print was accidently left on the cabinet. When I made a reprint to store, I found the old one & decided I'd leave it ontop of the cabinet image side up.

I admit there has been no real tests other than my eyes, but then again I'd never use dye based ink for any real long term printing solution. You can notice the slight difference side by side.....but I'd say it was take another 1 to 2 years to notice it on it's own. Which places it right on target with the 3 to 4 year rating I've read.

I won't bother posting the pigment samples as they look identical.

Now, I'd love to get some of that Arizona or New Mexico sun. That's Real Man's Sun!!!

Paul,

There would be only one reason I'd be using high powered full spectrum lighting.....and I gave that stuff up shortly after university ;-)

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Dave, maybe if we spent more time tending the grow lights we'd spend less time bickering over printing materials, and the world would be a better place for all ...

"He has quite a reputation that extends far beyond this small list. Certain aspects of his character and mindset are subject to comment and commentary on at least half a dozen or so lists that I know of."

On a number of photo lists, a Chihuahua George as in; watch out, joe's doing a Chihuahua George is a yappy, vicious, repetitive but ultimately meaningless post (similar but different to doing a Stobblehouse named after the inimitable photographer Ewok Stobblehouse).