Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Print dryers

Print dryers

Merry xmas to everyone I might add!

So print dryers... I just bought a fairly large second hand one. What should I look out for in usage? Any hints, tips, troubles or worries? Anything to avoid?

It's an old metal one, electric powered, with the fabric sheet on top.

Photax
    Standard 3 Dryer

Re: Print dryers

If I were you, I would remove and wash the fabric sheet, as it can absorb a ton of residual chemicals from the formerly inadequately washed drying prints.

These tabletop dryers require close attention. You don't want to leave a print on any longer than necessary...you're not baking a pie.

You should squeegee, or otherwise remove excess moisture from the print before putting on the dryer. I am assuming that yours has a relatively flat surface with a cloth that comes down over the drying surface and retains the print against the drying surface. If you want "gloss" make sure your drying surface is flaw free and as shiny as a mirror.

Thanks Gene. I need to have a proper look on how to remove the sheet, but you're fairly correct. It looks a bit grubby.

Only a couple weeks before I'm back in class, the college has a near-identical model so I may ask for advice then too

Ash,
    Don't look at the time of day and think "what a sad twat" . I've been down the pub and I've got to carve the turkey in a bit BUT if I print on fiber based paper I just hang the pictures up in the darkroom. The only way that I've ever got fiber prints flat is by putting them in my dry mounting press and trust me, they come out flat. I've got to decant the port now so have a good day.
    Best wishes,
    Pete.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

I'm using one of those old driers too, and consider it one of the most useful things I've ever bought. I set the thermostat on mine to 50 C, and get perfectly smooth prints every time.

So it was a good buy then?

Can they be used with RC papers successfully? I'm thinking on the lowest setting of course.

Merry xmas guys!

It works fine with RC too. They may actually take longer to dry, since water trapped under the print tends to stay there. With FB it diffuses out, with RC there's nowhere for it to go. The best way to dry RC is to put them loose on top of the canvas, I've found. There's no need to turn down the heat - they won't melt at 50 C.

That's awesome news

I've been playing shanghai solitaire all afternoon with my new Mahjongg set, so maybe if I get the chance later tonight I'll disassemble the frame holding the canvas and give it a wash before setting the bad-boy up in the darkroom

One final hint:

Put the canvas back on while still wet. When it's completely dry it will have shrunk just enough to be completely impossible to get back on the frame!

Thanks!!

(after all, turning on the heater would actually dry it!)