Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catastrophic Jobo Failure

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Catastrophic Jobo Failure

I have a Jobo CPP-2 with Lift that just decided to make a menace of itself. Something in the Lift mechanism's plumbing failed such that, when you try to dump the tank, rather than ducting the chemistry out the waste tube and into the catch bottle the chemistry drains through the interior of the Lift mechanism itself. Most of the chemistry drains all the way through the Lift mechanism and ends up in the bath but the some of it escapes to the outside world near the temp display. Unfortunately, I found this out by dumping 1.4L of fixer through it.

Any idea what went wrong inside? Is it something I can repair with parts from you guys? Is it something you guys can repair if I send the Lift to you?

loujon

Re: Catestrophic Jobo Failure

Quote Originally Posted by williaty View Post
    I have a Jobo CPP-2 with Lift that just decided to make a menace of itself. Something in the Lift mechanism's plumbing failed such that, when you try to dump the tank, rather than ducting the chemistry out the waste tube and into the catch bottle the chemistry drains through the interior of the Lift mechanism itself. Most of the chemistry drains all the way through the Lift mechanism and ends up in the bath but the some of it escapes to the outside world near the temp display. Unfortunately, I found this out by dumping 1.4L of fixer through it.

Any idea what went wrong inside? Is it something I can repair with parts from you guys? Is it something you guys can repair if I send the Lift to you?
    I bet your lifts dump tube has come lose from the internal drain funnel. If you can remove the shell it will be self evident and an easy enough fix.

BTW-You should probably dry or wipe clean as much of the spilled chemistry after opening the lift up for dump tube repair.

Is there any documentation anywhere on how to get the unit apart and back together again?

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by williaty View Post
    Is there any documentation anywhere on how to get the unit apart and back together again?
    I may have repair manual around here that I received w/ all my Jobo gear. I'll have a look around & I'll also check my hard drive as I may have one there.

Thanks. I'm mechanically inclined (as I should be, running my own shop!) but I'm always nervous about tearing a down a machine with no guidance. Too often, it results in a snapped wire, launched spring, or otherwise never being the same again.

Photographer

Re: Catastrophic Jobo Failure

The lift is easy to remove. There are two screws on the front side above the tub. Remove those and the lift will lift off. There is a clip on the other side you may have to pry up slightly. The hose on mine split a couple of years ago and I replaced it with a length of dishwasher drain hose.
    Keith Pitman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    The lift is easy to remove. There are two screws on the front side above the tub. Remove those and the lift will lift off. There is a clip on the other side you may have to pry up slightly. The hose on mine split a couple of years ago and I replaced it with a length of dishwasher drain hose.
    I recall that you remove the two screws on the front and the small thumb screw at the rear. The lift then slides forward slightly down the length of the tank around 5mm to release other screws in slots on the underside.
    I replaced my original hose, which was split, with a much longer one for a washing machine so i could drain from the bench directly into a bucket on the floor.

yup. been there, done that. it's an easy fix, can't remember what I took apart other than removing the lift itself but it's obvious once that's off.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Oh! If it's one hose all the way from the moving part to the outside world, that's definitely what went wrong. The hose external to the machine normally points downward well enough that you can stick it into a bottle to drain it. Last night, the hose was so insistent that it wanted to point straight out that it was flipping the bottles over. So that definitely suggests it came adrift inside (or just split in two).

Got it apart tonight. As you all led me to expect, the hose separated from the rigid plastic piece inside. What sort of adhesive will bond to those two types of plastic so I can put this back together?