Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Schneider Super Angulon 72mm

Re: Schneider Super Angulon 72mm

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    Decisions are not easy. . But for 1/2 to 1/3 price of Schneider, the Nikkor is looking pretty good.

How much tilt can it handle on 4x5 format?
    A Nikkor, a Schneider Super Angulon and a Rodenstock Grandagon N will all give you bellows limited tilts and swings on 45. However, even though they all have fall off from center to edge only Rodenstock and Schneider offered center filters to help correct the fall off.

Don't underestimate how massively larger the 72mm XL is, compared to more standard 75mm lenses. I own one only because I shoot 6x17, where it lives almost exclusively (and because I bought it cheaply). On 4x5, it's a pain to use due to the size - 95mm filters, or if you use the CF, 112mm on the front of that! Don't bother unless you really need the extreme IC or plan on shooting a larger format.

Here's mine, in the wild, on 6x17. You can see how big the lens is on a Linhof-compatible board/camera:

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    A Nikkor, a Schneider Super Angulon and a Rodenstock Grandagon N will all give you bellows limited tilts and swings on 45. However, even though they all have fall off from center to edge only Rodenstock and Schneider offered center filters to help correct the fall off.
    True. But Helioprint, Rodenstock and Schneider center filters can be used on Fujinons and Nikkors. See the list for directions to an article that lays out the possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    True. But Helioprint, Rodenstock and Schneider center filters can be used on Fujinons and Nikkors. See the list for directions to an article that lays out the possibilities.
    Only Rodenstock and Schneider made center filters for their lenses. Nikon and Fuji did not.
    The German filter manufacturer, Heliopan, also sold center filters but there is no guaranty that Heliopan center filters were available in all sizes that Nikon and Fuji lenses required. Additionally Heliopan center filters were available, originally, in two different densities. 0.3 and 0.9. Again these may or may not be optimal for Fuji and Nikon wide angles.

I use a 75mm Fujinon SWD f5.6 for 4x5. Fujinon made several 75mm lenses with image circles up to 200mm. Mine works great for my needs -- it's fast, lots of movement, eight elements in six groups, NO recessed board, and EBC coated. Check them out at:

http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/byfl.htm

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuji75swdf56copal.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	173597

My wide lens is the Grandagon 75mm F6.8 and honestly.......I hardly ever use movements other than focus on 4x5. It's small,compact, light weight and sharp....just not fast.

I looked up the weight of the Super and Nikkor, the Super is about 100 or so gms lighter, but is definitely bigger. I use movements especially tilt on a lot of my subjects as well as swing on occasion. It really depends on the subject though so having the largest image circle is a requirement.

I am narrowing down my choices. The Fujinon is interesting and is part of the group. It would be nice to be able to rent a couple three and try them out before making a final decision. So far, the Super is at the top due to the large image circle getting me to at least 5x7 if I wanted.

I looked up the weight of the Super and Nikkor, the Super is about 100 or so gms lighter, but is definitely bigger. I use movements especially tilt on a lot of my subjects as well as swing on occasion. It really depends on the subject though so having the largest image circle is a requirement.

I am narrowing down my choices. The Fujinon is interesting and is part of the group. It would be nice to be able to rent a couple three and try them out before making a final decision. So far, the Super is at the top due to the large image circle getting me to at least 5x7 if I wanted.
    All of the 90 4.5 and 5.6 lenses more then cover 57!

If you're after the largest image circle from a 72mm lens, there is only one choice, the 72mm Super Angulon XL, there are no options. When this lens is used on 4x5, more often than not the camera becomes the limitation for movement. This can be a serious limitation for a 4x5 field camera.

IMO, there is too much obsession over which of brand is "better", yes there are differences, but these differences are not nearly as significant when all other image making factors are considered. All four Nikor, Rodenstock, Fujinon, Schneider make excellent modern wide angle lenses.

Bernice

The Schneider filter III fits the Nikkor 75/4.5 67mm front thread.