Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Schneider Super Angulon 72mm

Schneider Super Angulon 72mm

Has anyone used this lens? I currently use a 75mm I borrowed, a Mamiya press lens which does not allow for movement on 4x5. I almost exclusively use the 75mm for landscape photography. I really like the coverage it provides. The 72mm provides essentially the same coverage, but has a 226mm image circle at f/22. How much smaller would yhat be as you open up the aperture?

How is the quality of image produced. Compared to the Nikkor SW 75mm with an image circle of 200mm at f/16? I use movements a lot so I the larger the mage circle the better. Of course the Nikkor is half the price of Schneider on ebay used.

Re: Schneider Super Angulon 72mm

Schneider specifies coverage for the 72 SA XL as 166mm at full aperture.

Thank you.

I am really interested in image quality.

I think you won´t be able to tell the difference, unless you really look for it. Mamiya press 75mm is already a very good lens!! and although the nikkor lens is very good, in 6x9, the differences have more to do with contrast and tonality (and color) than with resolution. I aware you for the over optimistic DOF scales on mamiya press lenses...

I have no experience with the 72mm xl

Have owned and used the 72mm SAXL on 5x7 since it's introduction in the later part of the 1990's. Performance is very good indeed. Image circle of expected definition will cover 5x7 with a maybe 10mm of movement f16 at infinity. Generally the 72mm SAXL has not been used with apertures larger than f11, typically between f16 to f32. If the largest image circle is required, this would be the choice, Know it is NOT small or compact and requires a 95mm filter and a center filter if color transparency film (5x7, 13x18cm) should be used due to light fall off. For B&W, maybe not depending on image expectations.

Other 75mm lenses to consider is the 75mm f4.5 Grandagon, image circle of (195mm) at f22. It is smaller than the 72mm SAXL due to the smaller diameter of the front element. Smaller still would be the 75mm f6,8 Grandagon which is significantly smaller than the 72mm SAXL and 75mm f4.5 Grandagon. The image circle (187mm) at f22.

Schneider Super Angulon and Fujinon were made in 75mm f5.6 and 75mm f8.

Image circle tends to increase at reproduction ratios less than infinity. A 75mm that does not cover a given film format might cover that film format well when used in a confined interior image.

Bernice

Thank you for the information. I would consider a center filter if I purchase the lens. I will mostly be using on 4x5. The Nikkor is currently the othe lens I am looking at. f/4.5, 75mm. But will consider others based on feedback from others before I purchase.

I've been using a 75/4.5 Nikkor-SW since 2000. It's a fine lens. I bought it to shoot interiors, for which it did very well. I can't imagine anyone in your position being unhappy with one (not to disrespect its competitors).

I have both the SA and the Nikkor. I definitely appreciate the larger image circle of the SA for full shift. I’ve been on the hunt for the center filter. That’s a tough item to find.

Decisions are not easy. . But for 1/2 to 1/3 price of Schneider, the Nikkor is looking pretty good.

How much tilt can it handle on 4x5 format?