Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toyo VX125 Ultra Flex Bellows Repair

Re: Toyo VX125 Ultra Flex Bellows Repair

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    The DLC reportedly works with lenses from 75mm to 450mm with the standard bellows. That is a longer range than the VX125, I think...
    The VX125 is specified for lenses down to the 58 SA XL with a flat board and 45 with a recessed board.

Dave Karp

Thanks Oren. I was focused on the long end of the scale.

A cheaper alternative ( but of good quality AFAIK and from personnel experience) might be Rudy, present on Ebay as ecbuyonline (not sure on that though, search the forum). You might contact him to see what he can do..

Good luck

It's a pity that it is almost always a recurring phenomena that Toyo, otherwise very nice camera's, their bellows are below par..

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    It's been a while since I used the bag bellows on the 4x5 but from what I remember it made the 90mm lens (with movements) much easier to use and was probably mandatory for the 75mm lens which I seldom used. With the 8x10 the longest usable lens with the bag bellows is 240mm so I would expect that the longest usable lens on a 4x5 with the standard Toyo bag bellows would be 120mm. So if you went that route with the VX you would need both a bag bellows for lens shorter that 120mm and a normal bellows for greater extension. Both are readily available used or new on ebay.

Thomas
    I have a Toyo 45c and a 75mm with both bag bellows and standard bellows. I have the 75mm on a recessed board and even then it is horrible to use with the standard bellows, it don't take much in the way of movements at all and the bellows start to pull at the rear standard. It is much easier to use with the bag bellows. You can still use a 150 with the bag bellows the extend to somewhere between 200 and 250mm so would cover the OP's lens selections. The only thing is they have gone sticky to the touch but are still perfectly light tight.

The Canham bellows on the DLC and MQC are superb for working over a wide extension range. I suspect part of the short extension capability is due to the lens board being 110mm x 110mm and thus the bellows is tapered. The VX125 has a huge lens board and uses a non-tapered bellows.

A bellows using the same material as the Canham but following the design of the VX125 would probably work almost as well as a the original VX125 bellows. With a 300mm max extension for the VX125, a bag bellows should be a very good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Keller View Post
    With a 300mm max extension for the VX125, a bag bellows should be a very good choice.
    While the telescoping rail of the VX125 does max out at 300mm, regular Toyo G standard and extension rails can be used when longer extensions are needed.

Kumar

Dynatect may be able to duplicate the original Toyo urethane bellows. Send them the old one to evaluate. Their standard bellows is very thin and flexible. I had one made for my 4X5 Robos. More expensive than Rudy, but worth it I think.

https://dynatect.com/categories/prot...overs/bellows/

Here's a photo of the Dynatect bellows. There are no cardboard stiffeners. Everything is synthetic, two layers of nylon with a PVC "skeleton" in between. The folds are joined by narrow webs of PVC you can see in the photo.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dynatect bellows.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	173649