Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Epson 10000 XL versus Epson V600

Dave Karp

Re: Epson 10000 XL versus Epson V600

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Fisher View Post
    Yes, if you can find a place that can actually provide high quality float glass in the right thickness that is scratch free, nick free and bubble free. You need to be very clear with them upfront about the level of inspection they need to use. Most average glass shops are not used to inspecting at such a critical level, so be upfront in order to avoid disappointment.

Doug
    If you need to replace the glass, you might talk to Steve Hopf. He makes outstanding groundglass for view cameras and understands our needs. I asked him to cut a piece of clear glass with no scratches or marks for use with a contact printing frame. He took the edge off of all the corners so it would not cut me and the glass was clear (no tint) and without imperfections. He is a member of this forum. You can PM or email him from here.

Dave Karp

I was looking for something else today and learned that Focal Point offers replacement platen glass for your scanner. http://fpointinc.com/epson.htm

Thank you everyone for the help.

I have a scratch in the glass affecting the image. Can I get glass cut at a glass shop to replace the scanners glass?
    Yes, if you can find a place that can actually provide high quality float glass in the right thickness that is scratch free, nick free and bubble free.
    Take the opportunity to upgrade to true AR glass. Not the hazy "anti-reflection" glass sold by framing shops, but the vacuum coated one that is virtually reflection free. Residual reflection similar to a coated lens. Not cheap. Sometimes called museum glass, although that one is also UV-blocking, which carries an extra cost, and you do not need.

What would cause a scan to look like this:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Py...N3r2Z7IU47SSL3

Is there a setting to change?

Could you be more specific? The bright vertical streak is part of the picture, right? Are you referring to the pattern that becomes visible when zooming into your supplied picture? that is the screen pattern of the printed material; perfectly normal, and different from a photographic picture. You may have a "de-screen" option in your scanning software, in essence some form of blurring.

The screen pattern of the printing press can cause scanning artifacts such as moiré when it is only partly resolved by the scanner. But in your case the screen pattern is well resolved, and your scan file is a faithful reproduction of the original, screen pattern included.

Other than that I don't see what is wrong.