Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: aligning enlarger

aligning enlarger

Can someone explain the steps in aligning my enlager so I know that it's precise? I've heard about the blank 4x5 negative with an X written on it in marker. Thanks

aligning enlarger

Brian

The basic principal is to make sure that the base board, lens stage and negative stage all liw on exactly the same plane. If your enlarger has a vertical column, it's usually a good idea to start with getting that as close to vertical as you can. A good quality spirit level is pretty key. Depending on what sort of enlarger you have, some of these three may be completely adjustable while others may not. You'll need to figure it out before hand and have a good think about which order to go about the process in. You should be able to get very close with a spirit level, checking each stage in a variety of directions. As a final check, two long hairs sellotaped across the negative holder and examined all the way along both with a grain focusser will tell you if your efforts have produced a result which is good enough.

If you want to take an easier option and have $200 to spend, Versalab make a great little tool called a Parallel which aids in getting very precise alignment very quickly.

aligning enlarger

I can second the Versalab gadget. I got one pretty cheap on eBay. Works great.

aligning enlarger

have a look at this site which gives some information on how to go about aligning your enlarger.
    Their tools are expensive.

www.zig-align.com

I just take an over exposed (completely dense) negative and score it with a sharp pin from corner to corner using a ruler.

The scoring action gives a rough edge which is good for focusing on right into the corners and then adjust enlarger as necessary.

aligning enlarger

Use the two mirror technique. Get two mirrors, preferably first surface mirrors. Near the edge of one, polish or scrape away a small spot of silvering, or just drill a small hole using a glass drill. Put the drilled mirror where the negative holder goes, with the hole *outside* the head, so you can look through it. Put the other mirror on the baseboard, directly under the drilled mirror. Look through the hole. If the enlarger is perfectly aligned (none are) you'll see the reflection of the hole. If the enlarger isn't perfectly aligned (that would be all of 'em) you'll see a "tail" of holes. Sometimes it helps to put a "notebook hole reinforcer ring" around the hole, and shine a light on it to improve visibility. Align the negative stage until you have collapsed the holes as much as possible. Now, hold the drilled mirror against the front lip of the enlarging lens, and do the same thing, aligning the lens stage to collapse the hole pattern. This is the same basic first step used to align plano interferometers to within millionths of an inch- it's as good or better than any other method, lasers and such included. Don't go crazy chasing alignment to absolute perfection, as this method will show errors in baseboard flatness, head position, sag, and even leaning on the table that holds the enlarger while you align it.

aligning enlarger

We may be able to offer more if we knew what model enlarger you have. Lens stage on Omegas is not obvious ,but can be done. Do before neg stage as you twist the whole head around throwing the neg stage out.

With good technique, a level is all you need.

aligning enlarger

I use a multiple mirror/beam splitter arrangement made by Salthill (now out of business) which aligns the negative stage, lens axis, and baseboard.

Note that any system of alignment which does not align the negative stage and lens axis is, in my not very humble opinion, completely worthless. Just aligning the negative stage to the baseboard is no help at all if the lens axis is out of whack.

Dave Karp

aligning enlarger

Another satisfied user of the Parallel from Versalab.

aligning enlarger

The versalab product is simply too expensive, until you buy one and try and I find out how far off you were even using your best efforts using window screen, test negatives, sheets of glass, levels, t-squares, etc. etc. etc.

aligning enlarger

Hi there,

Brian, I use 2 mirrors but slightly differently. Get a mirror to replace the neg. carrier, scratch an X with a pin and ruler from corner to corner and a hole thru the silver in the center. Place it mirror side down and centered with a mirror facing up at the base board. Turn on the enlarger with the lens removed and align the neg. stage. Now install the lens and align the lens stage. Done. Front surface is nice but not needed, you can get mirror tiles at Home Depot, they even cut them to size. Aligning does make a nice difference but it doesn't need to cost a few hundred dollars.

Have fun with it.