Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1906 Premo Latent? Glass Plate Images

Re: 1906 Premo Latent? Glass Plate Images

Thanks, everyone. I enjoy digging in the dust.

John, I did consider the owner stored his negs developed. Could be. I have no skills to fully examine the negs, nor a real desire. I accept them as found objects.

One caveat, have any of us put developed negs back in a holder? Maybe a print...

In this case, it is a possibility the camera was used a few times, glass negs are rather fragile and the trophies were stored for eternity, as I wrote, it's all almost unused.

223, now where is that bridge? Not Pottstown PA where a similar river and bridge existed in the 60's. The town is way too big.

It looked almost familiar to me, that is why I suggested closer scan - the setting looks similar to an old railroad bridge crossing the Dan River in Danville, VA - the bridge is still there but is now part of a walking / biking trail.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

I think you got it. Here's a North facing view. https://www.google.com/maps/@36.5881...7i13312!8i6656

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    It looked almost familiar to me, that is why I suggested closer scan - the setting looks similar to an old railroad bridge crossing the Dan River in Danville, VA - the bridge is still there but is now part of a walking / biking trail.

Randy- I meant to post in your other glass-plate thread. But I love seeing these plates too- I enjoy the mysteries that antique emulsions can contain.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Randy- I meant to post in your other glass-plate thread. But I love seeing these plates too- I enjoy the mysteries that antique emulsions can contain.
    Yes, it felt like that.

I am interested in what I can get out of the several dozen old unexposed plates I have.

And I want it to warm so I go outside and see what 'real' light does!

I bet you are now happy with your move.

Randy, I googled "Danville River Walk" and there are a few images of the bridge, which looks very much like yours, but I believe the buildings are wrong. That section of town, a hundred years or so ago, was a tobacco warehouse district - many of the old buildings are now converted to apartments. I don't think it's a match.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Randy, I googled "Danville River Walk" and there are a few images of the bridge, which looks very much like yours, but I believe the buildings are wrong. That section of town, a hundred years or so ago, was a tobacco warehouse district - many of the old buildings are now converted to apartments. I don't think it's a match.
    As they say, close, but no cigar.

Fun looking!

The images may be local (more or less) to wherever you found the camera and plates. And given where people lived 100+ years ago, I'd be looking east rather than west. I'll guess somewhere in Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    The images may be local (more or less) to wherever you found the camera and plates. And given where people lived 100+ years ago, I'd be looking east rather than west. I'll guess somewhere in Ohio.
    The Premo camera did come from a big Cleveland collector. He had more gear than any old time or new time camera store ever dreamed of. I know he often covered Ohio and Michigan into Detroit. But he was not old enpugh to shoot those old plate images. I have posted here shots from his Mint 1951 Speed 4X5 of a night time car accident ala Weegee. Dead people laying in road.

Ohio is a good place to look!

Thanks, Mark.