Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 4x5 Pinhole Thoughts - An Ill Advised Adventure

Re: 4x5 Pinhole Thoughts - An Ill Advised Adventure

Random thoughts:

I seen 4x5 pinholes made from black foamcore that mate to a 4x5 film holder. Rubber bands hold the "body" to the film holder. I think best bet for cheap 4x5. Similar to Todd's 3D printed version though not as fancy. There are people/places that will 3d print from a plan you provide.

A friend who does excellent pinhole work uses a 6x9 Agfa Isolette with the lens removed and replaced by a pinhole. The shutter remains. Great way to repurpose an Agfa Isolette with frozen focus. I just did this with a 6x6 folder but have yet to test it out.

I just built a simple 4x5 pinhole from a metal cookie tin to do pinholes with my granddaughter. I used small magnets to hold paper in place. Would work for film too. I've toyed with the idea of using a large tin with 5 holes. One in the center for an 8x10 and one toward each corner for 4 4x5s (probably need a baffle inside). The idea is that you can do 4 test exposures with a single load/unload. Then your "final" exposure with the center hole on a fresh sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    I "get" it. You've fallen into an unseen trap. Whether on this Forum, or anywhere else, when words like "inexpensive" or "easy" are used, they mean different things to different people. Some will see a $500 camera as "cheap" and not understand why or how anyone else could see it differently. Someone with plenty of time and tools will see a project as "easy" while for others it's basically impossible.

Good luck separating the wheat from the chaff.
    Precisely. This is something anybody will encounter in any pursuit, and I should have clarified sooner. It's clear that LF can develop a significant budget of it's own if one so chooses. Thanks for the subclub link, that's a wealth of information.

All, thanks for your input! Paul has kindly helped this "noob" out, and if I get the itch to actually build a camera you've provided a wealth of suggestions and information! Thanks!