Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinion about Fujinon

Re: Opinion about Fujinon

I also have the newer version. I paid $500 about ten years ago.

Drew Wiley

Thanks. Fine lenses, either way.

Thank You all for your comments and help. I decided to buy that Fujinon. But the seller have one more lens to sell which is even greater mystery than Fujinon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ILEX.jpg  
    Michal Makowski

Quote Originally Posted by Michal Makowski View Post
    Thank You all for your comments and help. I decided to buy that Fujinon. But the seller have one more lens to sell which is even greater mystery than Fujinon.
    Learn to use the forum's resources. In particular, http://www.largeformatphotography.in...mainly)-lenses has a link to an article about Ilex lenses. They're not mysteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Learn to use the forum's resources. In particular, http://www.largeformatphotography.in...mainly)-lenses has a link to an article about Ilex lenses. They're not mysteries.
    Dear Dan,

Yeap there are not mysteries but in resources quoted by you there are lots of information about old Ilex lenses and shutters :-(
    Michal Makowski

One thing to possibly consider is size and weight. Since a National Park is in your "name", you might want to consider size and weight. Because I do a lot of hiking, I chose the incredibly small and light Fujinon C 300mm f8.5. Yes, it is a stop slower, but it might work for your purposes -- it covers 8x10. It is undoubtedly harder to find and probably more expensive, but it might "fit your bill". But I'm assuming that 8x10 users don't consider weight or size to be obstacles/considerations -- I'm a mere 4x5 shooter.
    Last edited by xkaes; 4-Jan-2018 at 09:55.

...I decided to buy that Fujinon...
    Good choice and a very reasonable price. In this post

I reported on a comparison test that showed (for my samples, at least) it outperformed a pristine multicoated 300mm f/9 Fujinon A and was only bested by an extraordinary 300mm f/5.6 Nikkor W. Also note that your lens' shutter has ten blades forming a very round aperture, which could be of benefit if you don't stop down far enough to avoid out-of-focus areas in your images.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Good choice and a very reasonable price. In this post

I reported on a comparison test that showed (for my samples, at least) it outperformed a pristine multicoated 300mm f/9 Fujinon A and was only bested by an extraordinary 300mm f/5.6 Nikkor W. Also note that your lens' shutter has ten blades forming a very round aperture, which could be of benefit if you don't stop down far enough to avoid out-of-focus areas in your images.
    Thank You Sal! You make my day :-). Currently I'm using only B&W negatives so I don't bother about single coating, sometimes less is more. I'm not a big fan of very contrasty images.
    Michal Makowski

Drew Wiley

I seriously doubt any lens test that puts a Fujinon A behind a general-purpose plasmat of similar vintage. I also shoot Fuji C's and Nikkor M's which are exceptionally crisp, but with less coverage respective to focal length. G-Clarons are similar. Where this really becomes evident is when using roll film backs and greater magnification printing. Ironically, what I'd like to add is a Fuji L for its subtler edge rendition and background blur with 8X10 film.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I seriously doubt any lens test that puts a Fujinon A behind a general-purpose plasmat of similar vintage...
    You expressed those doubts in the thread I linked to. In that thread, I spent a lot of time responding to your arm waving and deflections. Even though you're repeating the injection of doubt in this thread, I'll not repeat all the refutations I posted in that thread. I suggest anyone interested follow the link I posted here in #17 and read for themselves what transpired after that point.