Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for my first 8x10, suggestions?

Looking for my first 8x10, suggestions?

sorry, there must be a million "which camera to buy" threads, but couldn't help starting a new one. I'm looking to buy my first 8x10 camera and lens (but will post lenses in the lens forum) and looking for some advice on what to buy. I've recently seen the Intrepid 8x10 offering online, and wondering if i should go that route or look for something used.

I don't want to spend a ton on my first camera because i know after shooting with it for a bit i'll discover more about what i do and don't like and will inevitably end up with another camera that suits my needs better, once i actually know what my needs are. I do know i want a field camera, as most work will be done not in a studio setting and i'll need to lug the camera around. I do enjoy shooting head shot range portraits, which means i'll need something with a good amount of bellow extension to focus so close. I still need to figure out what lenses to look out for, but will not be using anything super wide or super long to start with. But i do have a preference for larger apertures for brighter ground glass, shallow DoF, and eeking out some shutter speed when needed since i like to shoot people, so i suspect this means i need a front standard that can take some weight. I've got two young children at the moment, so finding time just to shoot is hard enough, and as such i'm looking for a camera that will just work, with little to no maintenance/fixing up.

some history: i have shot 35mm (digital and film) for about 8 years. I got to borrow a 4x5 field camera, and a huge 8x10 monorail studio camera (which of course i lugged out into the field) about 6 years ago and fell in love with 8x10. only shot about a dozen sheets on 8x10 before having to give it back (3 or 4 of which were improperly exposed, or i left the shutter open when pulling the dark slide out ). At the time i couldn't afford to shoot 8x10, but have been wanting to get back into 8x10 ever since. I can no longer remember what camera it was, but attached is a photo of it for reference. Can't remember the lens i used either, which is a bummer since a field version of that camera + the same lens and i'd be a happy camper to start right now.

Some details:
    Field camera
    Budget for camera by itself : approx $1k
    Planning to mainly shoot BW and contact print, although unless I can save a ton of money would rather have modern lenses I can shoot color with as well.
    Portrait focused, but will be used for their stuff as well. Photographers I’m influenced by to give you an idea of what I like to shoot: Sally Mann, Alec Soth, Greg Miller, Richard Avedon, Paulo Roversi

thanks for any suggestions/advice!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	399524_2679907430542_831563881_n.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	173283
    Last edited by scathontiphat; 3-Jan-2018 at 13:16. Reason: Adding details

Re: Looking for my first 8x10, suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by scathontiphat View Post
    I'm looking to buy my first 8x10 camera and lens
    I started 8x10 2 years ago, with tight amateur budget.

Camera I use is CAMBO SC 8x10. 810 Cameras are not as cheap as 45...

Lenses I have that cover (or nearly) are Symmar 210mm convertible (1964), Rodenstock Sironar-N 300mm MC (c. 1980), Symmar 360 convertible to (Nice!) 620mm (1964), and Lomo O-2 600mm (c. 1978)

For the lenses you have to provide information:

> Budget ?

> Portrait, landscape, architecture, objects ? What circle size do you want ? What focals ?

> Need multicoated ?

Andy Eads
    Pasco, Washington - the dry side of the state

The camera in your photo is a Horseman. There were two flavors of 8x10 that I know of but they shared the same basic idea: solid monorail and axis tilt & swing. I have the 4x5 version that I used to schlep out in the field as well as in the studio. I also have a Bender 8x10 that has long since gone out of production. They were sold as kits so the quality of assembly varies widely. These show up for sale from time to time. I have problems with the locks not being strong enough to hold everything tight especially when inserting the film holder. Search this forum for other recommendations; there is lots of good advice to be found. I wish you well! -Andy

@scathontiphat;

Its difficult to make recommendations without know what your budget really is. Can you offer a ballpark figure for your $$ limit, please?

Have you tried the search function on the website? Whatever you buy a get a cheap one because as you said you want to get something different later on

My choice would be Chamonix or Canham. Others would work well too but those are my favorites. Neither are 'budget' cameras though.

Between here and there

It is also a bit dependent on your location in the world ... the availability of 8x10 cameras in US compared to Europe for example, are quite different.

Thanks for the replies. I added some details to the original post. I’ve been flipping through other threads as well, but I feel like the new offering from Intrepid sort of throws a spanner in the works when comparing budget options that I’ve not seen discussed (but maybe I’m just bad at searching). Hence the desire to start a new tread.

Quote Originally Posted by scathontiphat View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I added some details to the original post. I’ve been flipping through other threads as well, but I feel like the new offering from Intrepid sort of throws a spanner in the works when comparing budget options that I’ve not seen discussed (but maybe I’m just bad at searching). Hence the desire to start a new tread.
    Last year I had an opportunity to buy a complete 8X10 Deardorff kit with a pristine Kodak Ektar 12" lens, 8 film holders, and more, so I went for it, finally committing to a lifelong desire to work with large format negs. Yes, it was pricey (USD $3300) but at that time I was certain that I was ready to commit and that the camera would serve me well. I was very sure that it was what I wanted and that I was ready for what it offered me.
    If I was less sure about my needs and goals, I expect I would have opted for either the Intrepid 8X10 or a "discount", very rough and tumble old Kodak 2D or perhaps an Agfa Ansco. I have seen these sold with a basic lens for under $1000 on occasion. As a starter camera for someone who isn't sure what his commitment level is (yet) I would seriously consider the Intrepid. One thing you know when you buy one is that it is "brand new" functional (you can expect some functionality compromises with very old, well-worn old discount 8X10s, such as leaky bellows, etc.), clean, lightweight and capable. Its not a "prestige camera" by any means, but its going to serve you well as your first LF camera. The lens you choose will be far more important. Don't "cheap out" when buying your lens!

As has been often said here, your first LF camera likely won't be a keeper.
    Buy something that you can afford, and learn from it what you'd like in a camera, all while you learn.
    Seems like the Intrepid would be a good starter camera, and who knows, it may end up being a keeper.