Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Schneider Repro-Claron 610mm f9

Re: Schneider Repro-Claron 610mm f9

Thanks all! Anyone hear of the “blue and magenta hues to the reflections” with this lens?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They come in Compound 5 .. and performance wide open is at least as good if not better than the other competitors .. stopped down to 22-32 they all are similar .. a very fine lens .. even more so if it comes factory mounted in a shutter

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Everything, well, nearly everything, Jim says is true but it isn't always complete. Check before you buy or buy with the right of return.

I have Schneider documentation that says the 610/9 Repro-Claron's cells fit a Compur Electronic #5FS. It also says that a 210/9 Repro-Claron's cells will fit a #1. I have one, its cells absolutely positively won't fit a #1. #3 seems more likely.

Everything, well, nearly everything, Jim says is true but it isn't always complete. Check before you buy or buy with the right of return.

I have Schneider documentation that says the 610/9 Repro-Claron's cells fit a Compur Electronic #5FS. It also says that a 210/9 Repro-Claron's cells will fit a #1. I have one, its cells absolutely positively won't fit a #1. #3 seems more likely.
    Good to know. I have two other lenses listed designed for the 5FS that are a perfect match for the Compound #4II: a Xenar 240mm f/4.5 and Symmar 360mm f/5.6 that fit both shutters according to the threading and my caliper. I wonder if they changed something or just made sure their 5FS's were compatible from the start.

Dan is right and it's always dangerous to make blanket statements about something like a Schneider Repro Claron. They were in production for a long period and there are differing iterations of product. For instance the 210 Repro Claron sometimes fits a diminutive Size 0 shutter and then I've had some that fit the obsolete Compur #2 Rimset. I've had 210 and 305 that both fit that same #2 shutter. The rule is to get a compound that already had a Schneider lens inside it. They were consistent on thread and barrel spacing between the different possible lenses. So a Compound that has been hosting a factory 355MM early Symmar is a direct fit to a 42CM Repro Claron. A 210 Xenar Compound fits a 355 Repro Claron. And yes, the 610 will need a #5, not a #4. A 240 - 420 Convertible Symmar in Compur #2 shutter fits some of the 305 and yes, 210 Repro Claron. But remember there were many different iterations of all of these so none of these rules is hard and fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Dan is right and it's always dangerous to make blanket statements about something like a Schneider Repro Claron. They were in production for a long period and there are differing iterations of product. For instance the 210 Repro Claron sometimes fits a diminutive Size 0 shutter and then I've had some that fit the obsolete Compur #2 Rimset. I've had 210 and 305 that both fit that same #2 shutter. The rule is to get a compound that already had a Schneider lens inside it. They were consistent on thread and barrel spacing between the different possible lenses. So a Compound that has been hosting a factory 355MM early Symmar is a direct fit to a 42CM Repro Claron. A 210 Xenar Compound fits a 355 Repro Claron. And yes, the 610 will need a #5, not a #4. A 240 - 420 Convertible Symmar in Compur #2 shutter fits some of the 305 and yes, 210 Repro Claron. But remember there were many different iterations of all of these so none of these rules is hard and fast.
    Yeah, given the size of the 5FS, I'd go out on a limb and say that the Symmar 360mm f/5.6 had a larger adapter to fit into that shutter, similar to the way they fit the Xenotar 150mm f/2.8 into a Copal 3 (from Compur #2) or the Tele-Xenar 360mm f/5.5 into a Copal #3 (from a compound #3).
    Last edited by MAubrey; 4-Jan-2018 at 11:47.

My 355mm f9 Repro-Claron lives in a rim-set Compur #2 for those keeping score...

Use it on 8x10 and a very sharp lens

I lucked out purchasing a factory coated example mounted in a Universal #5 shutter (w/flange) just before I sold my Fujinon 600mm C lens. I was glad to have the one and glad sell the other. Of course, the 600mm C lens is a great lens. But now, all my 8x10 lenses are of similar vintage and coating.

As you might suspect, the real driver was that I was able to pay some bills.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    I lucked out purchasing a factory coated example mounted in a Universal #5 shutter (w/flange) just before I sold my Fujinon 600mm C lens. I was glad to have the one and glad sell the other. Of course, the 600mm C lens is a great lens. But now, all my 8x10 lenses are of similar vintage and coating.

As you might suspect, the real driver was that I was able to pay some bills.
    Might anyone know the IC at infinity?

This sticky http://www.largeformatphotography.in...mainly)-lenses in the lens section has a link to the Schneider documentation that has the answer to your question.

Hint: 517 mm. In the future, please try to look things up for yourself before asking for help. You'll learn more that way.

This sticky http://www.largeformatphotography.in...mainly)-lenses in the lens section has a link to the Schneider documentation that has the answer to your question.

Hint: 517 mm. In the future, please try to look things up for yourself before asking for help. You'll learn more that way.
    Everyone learns differently. For some, social interaction is paramount for knowledge retention.