Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starter LF Lens

Post Starter LF Lens

Hello all.

I'm new to LF but not photography. I need a suggestion for an inexpensive introductory lens. For context, here's my story:

My father was downsizing his place and gave me his 5x7 Eastman View Camera No. 2 that he refinished many years ago. The bellows are tight and no light leaks are apparent. Also came with three film holders. However, the lens it came with doesn't work - I'm thinking it's original to the camera and age is just the cause (the shutter doesn't open and close).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2541.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	173219

I'm perusing Adorama, B&H, and eBay and finding quite a few different lenses, all ranging in manufacturer and price. I'm familiar with DSLR and mirrorless, some MF, but LF brands are new to me.

Do you have a recommendation for a sub-$300 introductory lens that I could purchase to test out LF photography? I'm probably going to photograph nature scenes if that helps.

Many thanks!
    Alec

Re: Starter LF Lens

210mm Symmar-S should set you back about $200 or less. That's the "standard" focal length for 5x7. If you want a wider lens, something in the 120-150mm area would be more appropriate. I'll let others comments because I don't shoot 5x7 myself but the 210mm Symmar I know covers with plenty to spare and is cheap, so I thought I'd mention that one first.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Dave Karp

A 210mm Caltar II-N is a very good lens in the normal range for 5x7. Should be around $200. The lens is made by Rodenstock. The equivalent Rodenstock APO Sironar-N should be around the same price.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    210mm Symmar-S should set you back about $200 or less. That's the "standard" focal length for 5x7. If you want a wider lens, something in the 120-150mm area would be more appropriate. I'll let others comments because I don't shoot 5x7 myself but the 210mm Symmar I know covers with plenty to spare and is cheap, so I thought I'd mention that one first.
    Actually a 180 is the normal lens for 57. A 210 would be a long normal. However is much easier to find used 210 lenses as they are also one of the most popular lenses for 45.

Calculating the diagonal gives 214mm...but yes more importantly it's a more common lens, and cheap.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Just like in any format, you gets lots of opinions about what is a "normal" lens. I like a "slightly" wide "normal", but it's all just opinion, and does not effect price at all. There are many 180-210mm lenses that will meet your needs. Keep in mind that many of these lenses produce image circles that are much larger than 5x7 film -- and cost a lot more as a result. In addition, many of these lenses have larger maximum apertures (AKA larger glass elements and more of them) -- and cost a lot more as a result. So "slower" lenses that cover 5x7 without image size "overkill" will be the least expensive. Some good ones sell for about $100 with shutters. Here's a place where you can see the difference of some lenses:

http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/

Dave Karp

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    A 210mm Caltar II-N is a very good lens in the normal range for 5x7. Should be around $200. The lens is made by Rodenstock. The equivalent Rodenstock APO Sironar-N should be around the same price.
    I should also have said plain old Sironar-N. The APO version, which is identical, may be offered at a higher price. You can get a 180mm in the same flavors. Nice multicoated Fujinon lenses (marked Fujinon W on the outside room of the lens barrel) are often available at good prices. Fujinons are excellent lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    I should also have said plain old Sironar-N. The APO version, which is identical, may be offered at a higher price. You can get a 180mm in the same flavors. Nice multicoated Fujinon lenses (marked Fujinon W on the outside room of the lens barrel) are often available at good prices. Fujinons are excellent lenses.
    No, the Sironar N is not the same as the ApoSironar N. The Sironar N MC became the first Apo N lenses.

You already have good advice regarding a lens. I add two more. First, the lens might be restored with a CLA (clean,lube,adjustment), and a reducing back to 4x5" opens opportunities for more available films.

Dave Karp

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    No, the Sironar N is not the same as the ApoSironar N. The Sironar N MC became the first Apo N lenses.
    Follow Bob's advice on that one. I assumed multicoating (MC) and should not have.