Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starter LF Lens

Re: Starter LF Lens

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Oh, Mr. Darton, you sucked all the romance away.
    And all these years, I thought that sucking actually, somehow, IMPROVED the romance. Shows to go ya!

Quote Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post
    Thanks. OK, interesting, but not that exotic. Best to probably buy something newer. Leave it for if you go insane for old stuff. :-)
    Sounds good. And if my interest in LF takes off I'll probably see about getting the shutter fixed. But a $200 investment in a new lens isn't too shabby on my part. Now I just have to figure out how to get them developed!

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by alechosterman View Post
    Michael -

Here's what I can see written on it: Gundlach-Manhattan Optical Company, Rochester NY. Rapid Reotigraphic F8. Looks like it goes f/8 through f/64. There is other writing on the front but it's aged off. On the back it has 25 in marked in the inner ring as well as what looks like a serial number.

Have any thoughts on it? Have any recommendations on who might look at it for a cleaning?

Thanks!

Attachment 173223
    While you should probably pick up a more modern plastmat type lens (180-210mm)in a Copal 1 shutter the lens you have is a pretty terrific triple convertible called a Gundlach Rapid Rectigraphic (a Rapid Rectilinear type w/ the traditional 2 glued elements the Retigraphic has 3 glued elements per cell for better edge sharpness over IC read it here http://piercevaubel.com/cam/catalogs...dlachlp303.htm) #6 size which makes the combined focal length 16"f8 w/ convertible 25"/34" fl f16-18
    The magic is in the long FL of 16" combined on a 5x7 will be great on portrait or general long lens use. If it was mine I would replace the shutter w/ a 'rim set' #3-4 Ilex Universal shutter as I believe there is a good chance the dial set Ilex Universal shutter has the same barrel thread size and you can also transfer the aperture scale plate and that makes for a a very good lens and fairly dependable shutter.
    I like the RIM SET Ilex Universal shutters and HATE the DIAL SET Ilex Universal shutters. Totally different animals.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rapid Rectigraphic.jpg  

If the aperture works, you could shoot paper negatives easily without needing a shutter. You can make contact prints. Paper is cheap and easily available. 30 days later, if LF still holds your interest, you'll have access to the classifieds, and see what's available.

kumar

My favorite lens for 5x7 was a Kodak Ektar 203mm f/7.7. This design, sometimes under other names, has been around a long time, but still performs well if the slow aperture isn't too much of a handicap.
    I've made 4x5 backs for 5x7 cameras by cutting a plywood sheet to fit the camera and mounting the back of a junk box 4x5 on it.

The Ektar 203mm f/7.7 doesn't allow much wiggle room for movements on 5x7, just sayin'
    A 215mm Ilex should work well for you.
    Check out the lens coverage tables linked on the LF Home Page on the blue banner ^^^up there^^^ for a list of the usual suspects.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Lots of great information in here. Thanks everyone for helping out an LF noob!

Another vote for a Fujinon W 180/5.6 (with lettering on the inside of the front element) - it will have a modern shutter, multi-coating, fast aperture f5.6 and will be slightly wide/normal on a 5x7. Great choice and cheap on the auction site. The Japanese sellers haven't disappointed me yet. You could also go for the slower (f9) and lighter but greater coverage 180mm "A" version for a bit more money.

List of Fujinon lenses here: http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/byfl.htm

Quote Originally Posted by alechosterman View Post
    Lots of great information in here. Thanks everyone for helping out an LF noob!
    Your first LF lens could very well become your last, the best. Whatever you choose use it a lot. The differences between modern lenses are not enough to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by angusparker View Post
    Another vote for a Fujinon W 180/5.6 (with lettering on the inside of the front element) - it will have a modern shutter, multi-coating, fast aperture f5.6 and will be slightly wide/normal on a 5x7.
    A minor correction. The Fujinon W (and SW) lenses with inside lettering were not EBC coated. The only Fujinons with inside lettering and EBC coating were the early SWD lenses.