Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45MCRX LED light source with condensers vs diffusion cold light.

Re: 45MCRX LED light source with condensers vs diffusion cold light.

Paul, how long had you been using the cold light prior to trying out (or going back to?) the 211? Is it possible that your film exposure/development had evolved over time to accommodate the cold light?

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Paul, how long had you been using the cold light prior to trying out (or going back to?) the 211? Is it possible that your film exposure/development had evolved over time to accommodate the cold light?

30 years. i think you may have hit it on the nose.

what i imeadiately notice on the easel, my images are much brighter with the condensers. im going to get lower wattage bulbs n give that a try.

if all else fails, im going back to the cold light. im rewiring it today, the old cords insulation is cracking.

but ive been doing some reading on rgb leds and even the zone vcl led head as an upgrade.

Bear in mind that any LED - either a multi-colour or a 'white' led has a spiky visible spectrum, like a fluoresecent light only more so. You may see something completely different from what the film sees.

Neil

I recently upgraded to a Heiland 5x7 RGB LED head for my Zone 6 enlarger...and - WOW...talk about light levels! Almost too much, even when dialed down - for Ilford MG Classic (admittedly a very fast paper). Thing is...my Zone 6 corrected spot meter is not impressed - meaning that the Heiland's LED's are so well color matched to the VC paper's color response spectra that the efficiency remains very high. Have cobbled this to my homemade horizontal enlarger for larger (up to 40x60) prints and am suddenly thankful for this efficiency!

At any rate...a good and well respected photographer friend tells me that his Zone 6 LED VC head might not be nearly as bright (efficient) as the Heiland - but probably fine for most work up to the 20x24-ish sizes that your 45MCRX will typically (depending on lens and format) accommodate. Apparently this Z-6 LED head is a bit hard to find...but maybe worth looking for!