Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Designed a 3D Printed Plate Adapter for Graflex 1234 Pack Film Holder

Designed a 3D Printed Plate Adapter for Graflex 1234 Pack Film Holder

Well, I'm getting everything ready to start shooting wet plate with my 4x5. I have the plates ordered as well as the silver bath tank and I'm in the process of ordering all the chemicals.

That left one last thing to do, to get a wet plate holder. I was thinking on just modifying one of my film holders, but then I remembered I had a few Graflex film pack holders lying around.

After a few minutes of design work, I now have an adapter that will just fit inside the graflex 1234 pack film holder. It is printing right now and I should be able to test fit and function in about an hour.

Here's a couple renders of the simple adapter. I am printing it in PETG so I should have no problems with reactions to the emulsion.

Graflex 1234 Wet Plate Adapter_2017-Dec-30_09-14-13PM-000_HOME_jpeg by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

Graflex 1234 Wet Plate Adapter_2017-Dec-30_09-15-33PM-000_TOP_jpeg by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

Re: Designed a 3D Printed Plate Adapter for Graflex 1234 Pack Film Holder

Here it is printed. Should work perfect!

3D Printed Graflex Plate Adapter by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

I'm just using sheet film for a mockup since I don't have my 4x5 plates yet.

3D Printed Graflex Plate Adapter by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

This looks awesome! I just came across the Graflex 1234 wet plate conversion today, but this looks like the best way to do it. Any chance I could buy one from you once you've tested it a bit?

Andrew, if you want the plate to be in register you'll have to put a spacer -- as thick as the film pack's metal front -- between the FPA and the plate. I hope I've been clear. I'm being deliberately vague about thickness because I'm being lazy and don't want to unearth one of my FPAs, extract a pack, find the calipers, ... If you're stuck I'll do it but if you still have the film pack you should be able to measure.

Quote Originally Posted by Texaspaul View Post
    This looks awesome! I just came across the Graflex 1234 wet plate conversion today, but this looks like the best way to do it. Any chance I could buy one from you once you've tested it a bit?
    Sure! I should know by the end of the week if it is working right. I'm just waiting on my chemicals and plates to arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Andrew, if you want the plate to be in register you'll have to put a spacer -- as thick as the film pack's metal front -- between the FPA and the plate. I hope I've been clear. I'm being deliberately vague about thickness because I'm being lazy and don't want to unearth one of my FPAs, extract a pack, find the calipers, ... If you're stuck I'll do it but if you still have the film pack you should be able to measure.
    Yes, I measured a pack and have the registration down to .01mm accuracy.

Thanks for the heads-up though. I read about the registration problems some were having with conversions.

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado CJ View Post
    Sure! I should know by the end of the week if it is working right. I'm just waiting on my chemicals and plates to arrive.
    I'm still waiting for my 4x5 camera to arrive... Just planning ahead for future goals!

BTW I found a very interesting site that has files to print photo gizmos.....

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/ta...graphy?state=3

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/latest?state=11

enjoy

I tried to contact you via Photography On The Net but maybe I'll have better luck here.

Did you make the insert to fit modern 4x5 film (which is actually 100x125mm or 3.937x4.921 inches) or a true 4.000x5.000" plate?

The reason I'm asking is that my friend makes reproduction cases to house ambrotypes and tintypes (to make a final product much like what would have been sold in the 19th century) and has molds that fit a true 4x5" plate and quarter-plate sizes. Modern film is too small to fit the 4x5" cases. I'm interested in buying an adapter from you but, well, size matters.

Quote Originally Posted by williaty View Post
    I tried to contact you via Photography On The Net but maybe I'll have better luck here.

Did you make the insert to fit modern 4x5 film (which is actually 100x125mm or 3.937x4.921 inches) or a true 4.000x5.000" plate?

The reason I'm asking is that my friend makes reproduction cases to house ambrotypes and tintypes (to make a final product much like what would have been sold in the 19th century) and has molds that fit a true 4x5" plate and quarter-plate sizes. Modern film is too small to fit the 4x5" cases. I'm interested in buying an adapter from you but, well, size matters.
    I designed it to fit true 4"x5" plate. There will be a very small edge unexposed around the perimeter since the graflex film opening is slightly smaller than 4"x5".