Thread: Composing With One Eye

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Composing With One Eye

With LF I always compose under the dark cloth with both eyes but when using a roll film camera, which allows only one eye at a time in the view finder, I always use the left eye even though I am right-handed. The other day I was out with the P67II shooting a landscape image of Alameda Creek flowing to San Francisco Bay. I don't have bubble levels on the Pentax as I have on the LF cameras so its important to me to insure that the framing is level. I got it level using the left eye as usual but then, probably because I was set-up on an embankment that was slanted, I looked at it again with the right eye and the framing was tilted. If you look at an object and alternate between eyes, it "tilts" downward to the right when the left eye is open and back upward to the left when the right eye is opened. After a few iterations of this I settled with the left eye's view but I seem to recall a slight unevenness in some of the past results. Has anyone else noticed this?

Thomas

Re: Composing With One Eye

I think it depends on which side of the middle your nose is relative to the perspective lines that would be drawn to the vanishing point on the left and right sides.
    If you look at the top of your computer right now, you will see the same effect, which will change if you shift right to left relative to the screen. Also one eye is more technicolour than the other. Weird, Eh!

Do wear glasses, Thomas?

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I do wear glasses Jac but have to remove them when focusing on the ground glass or when focusing with my roll film cameras as I have diopters on the vierfinder that corrects for my vision. Anyway the same phenomenon exists with or without glasses.

Thomas

Ask an ophthalmologist when you go in for a check-up...

But sometimes if you are wearing glasses constantly and they are out of alignment, your eye/brain will correct for this, but with a new pair of glasses (or without glasses), you might have adapted to the old misalignment... (That's why breaking in new glasses can be difficult... It's your eyes adapting!!!)

Spend some time without wearing glasses for a few hours, and then put on your old ones and check how the two images align....

But look forward to a great new year!!!

Steve K

After reading for an hour or two, I would see double for awhile. I was straining my eye muscles to keep both eyes focused on the same spot on the page. My eye doc changed my prescription of my reading glasses to help with this. So it is possible that one's eyes focus differently, and since balance is an eye-ear-brain thing, I would not be surprised if one did experience a difference sense of 'level' between two eyes. One might even tilt one's head slightly differently looking with each eye.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

One eye is usually dominant. We aim with it. It may not match whether you're right handed or left handed. Here a test to determine which eye is dominant.
    http://www.allaboutvision.com/resour...t-eye-test.htm

I lost my right eye in an accident when I was 10. So I've never had these problems

Kumar

2 Bit Hack

You may have astigmatism in one or both eye and is not corrected.
    Regards

Marty

I've been wearing eyeglasses for most of my life--started at age 3 or 4--and part of my vision problems has always been astigmatism. So my lenses have been made to correct for that. The last time I needed to get a new prescription, I noticed that my horizons in all my photos were off kilter. Fairly consistently at about 2 degrees. My ophthalmologist was a bit surprised to see me ahead of schedule, as it were, and more surprised that I had noticed the change. I didn't in ordinary day to day stuff but having to correct every single photograph was a pretty good clue!
    I had a minor stroke earlier this year and my vision changed rather more dramatically--distance vision is unchanged but my astigmatism went from requiring that 2 degree correction to about 12 degrees. That was a problem until I got new glasses--took a while to figure out what the cause of my "vertigo" was.

Rob