Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to have shutters serviced in Europe?

Where to have shutters serviced in Europe?

I have 2 shutters that run audibly irregular in the slow speeds. It doesn't get better after some exercise so they need service. But I have no idea where to send them. Does someone has an address in europe where they still service LF shutters?
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Re: Where to have shutters serviced in Europe?

Hello from France!

You can have a look here at a worldwide list of repair shops, including European technicians, for the Rolleiflex TLR. The list is maintained by Ferdi Stutterheim in the Netherlands.
    https://www.rolleigraphy.org/repair.php
    Most European repair shops who know how to repair a Rolleiflex TLR know how to repair a mechanical leaf shutter for a LF lens.
    Simply ask them.

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    I have 2 shutters that run audibly irregular in the slow speeds. It doesn't get better after some exercise so they need service. But I have no idea where to send them. Does someone has an address in europe where they still service LF shutters?
    Google S.K. Grimes if you speak Copal shutters.

Quote Originally Posted by Pfsor View Post
    Google S.K. Grimes if you speak Copal shutters.
    Did S. K. Grimes moved to Europe ?

Quote Originally Posted by Payral View Post
    Did S. K. Grimes moved to Europe ?
    What difference does it make? His local post office will take care of it. Copal shutters are small objects, easy to send overseas in a padded envelope. What you save on postage in Europe will be taken away from you by much higher European service fees. In today globalized world insisting on European Rollei service doesn't make sense if you need to have your Copal repaired. Me thinks.
    Not to speak about spare parts if needed - will Rollei service have them? In such a case you will pay the service fee in Europe for nothing, provided the OP speaks about Copal shutters.

Quote Originally Posted by Pfsor View Post
    What difference does it make? His local post office will take care of it. Copal shutters are small objects, easy to send overseas in a padded envelope. What you save on postage in Europe will be taken away from you by much higher European service fees. In today globalized world insisting on European Rollei service doesn't make sense if you need to have your Copal repaired. Me thinks.
    It matters. In many European countries over zelous custom officers catch every international package and slap it with high fees, even for individual small value transactions.

In my case (Portugal) it takes 2 to 3 weeks to receive a notification that the package is being held in customs. After providing extensive documentation (proof of purchase, proof of payment, paypal receipt screenshot, etc) it takes another week to receive it. You can expect to pay around 30% extra. Fees are calculated as a percentage of the amount you paid the seller+shipping costs.

There is a provision for sending items out for repair but you pay the same extra for the cost of repair and shipping.

Enviado do meu ONEPLUS A5000 através do Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by aflc View Post
    It matters. In many European countries over zelous custom officers catch every international package and slap it with high fees, even for individual small value transactions.

In my case (Portugal) it takes 2 to 3 weeks to receive a notification that the package is being held in customs. After providing extensive documentation (proof of purchase, proof of payment, paypal receipt screenshot, etc) it takes another week to receive it. You can expect to pay around 30% extra. Fees are calculated as a percentage of the amount you paid the seller+shipping costs.

There is a provision for sending items out for repair but you pay the same extra for the cost of repair and shipping.
    It all depends. In other European countries you get your package first and the custom fee is paid after. Also, for a smaller amount (up to 100 euro) it is not demanded at all. The cost of repair is less in US than in Europe.
    Not to speak about the availability of Copal spar parts at a Rollei service point in Europe. It all depends and is worth of a thought.

Shipping is a pain even within belgium official documents taking more than a week to arrive within the same village. And customs fees are high. I know you can get it "temporary exported" but even then they do ask "document fees". I phoned already some shops but they have no idea where to send it.

It are shutters for LF lenses, nothing to do with Rollei. Checked and one is a Copal the other marked Linhof (but that is probably just another name for a more common brand).

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    I phoned already some shops but they have no idea where to send it.
    I hear you. So in any case you will need to send it abroad and pay the custom fees? Why not to S.K.Grimes then? Frankly, if I need my shutter to be working for next 10 years I don't care if I pay 30$ more for it but I do care that it is a Copal repair centre that will do the job. Just me.

I understand you perfectly. But inside europe there are no customs, no fees, no paperwork for temporary export (except alcohol, smoking stuff, perfume and coffee). I can't understand why there isn't a european copal service center. Or why it is so hard to find.