Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Fresh dry plates in a variety of sizes

Re: Fresh dry plates in a variety of sizes

Looks like the full plate have gone already and it appears postage is restricted to the USA.

I think you may have underestimated the sort of demand you will be getting - perhaps you should already warn your partner!

There are a lot pf people who have started wetplate in the last decade, who have given up because of fumes or the real problem with stocking up with problem postage items. I am one of these.

Re: Fresh 4" x 5" dry plates

I'm going to shoot a J. Lane Dry Plate today. Will post any result tonight.

Jason, perhaps you should start a new thread for images made on your plates. Consider the image galleries are divided, into 4X5 and larger and those like 1/4 plate and smaller.

To Mods, it would be unfortunate to end up with 2 threads for the same emulsion and product.

Jason is 'J. Lane Dry Plates' your ongoing product and company name? I like it.

This thread is the wrong place for images going forward. IMHO

Fresh dry plates in a variety of sizes

Randy,

Feel free to start a thread for Dry Plate Photographs when you have your plate developed successfully (did I mention gentle agitation and constant temperature?) and scanned in. I've never seen one on the forum and it would be a welcome addition. I would suggest keeping all formats together, and just specify the format as part of the technical info for the photo when you post. Maybe just post a link here that points to that thread.

Oh and going back through my notebook of development notes, I found a note about temperature that I must have forgotten over the past year: Lower development temperature helps minimize frilling... so keep your constant temp to 68F - 65F. My note said try to keep development temps at 65F, but my darkroom is usually maintained at 68F and I found 5 minutes w/ HC-110 Dil B works well there, so that went on the label. If you go lower, increase development time perhaps somewhere in 5-7 minutes. Feel free to experiment, I'm interested in results that expand from the one datapoint on the box.

Re: The branding issue is a consequence of the sort of spontaneous start to selling plates just before Christmas '17. I had established my "storefront" name as Pictoriographica about a year ago to sell prints. I think that's a cool word and I'll stick with that as the "company name". The name on the box of plates, "J. Lane Dry Plates" was sort of arbitrarily chosen when I put together the label for a box of plates I sent to a fellow earlier this year. I just stuck with it for future labels, and didn't think to tie them together better when I listed them on my Etsy store. So I've decided the name of the plates, J. Lane Dry Plates, will be the product name for "Normal" sensitivity emulsion. Future emulsions with different sensitivities (like orthochromatic) will have different names.

Pictoriographica's not on the box label because, well ... I have no excuse for that and I should probably put it on there somewhere lol

I figure I can get away with this because George Eastman set the precedent for confusing us all by using more than one name interchangeably: Eastman and Kodak

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Fresh dry plates in a variety of sizes

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    Looks like the full plate have gone already and it appears postage is restricted to the USA.

I think you may have underestimated the sort of demand you will be getting - perhaps you should already warn your partner!

There are a lot pf people who have started wetplate in the last decade, who have given up because of fumes or the real problem with stocking up with problem postage items. I am one of these.
    Hi Steven,

The whole plates haven't sold yet. They are still showing in my etsy store. PM me if you are interested.

Edit: I am getting mmore glass on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I'm going to shoot a J. Lane Dry Plate today. Will post any result tonight.

Jason, perhaps you should start a new thread for images made on your plates. Consider the image galleries are divided, into 4X5 and larger and those like 1/4 plate and smaller.

To Mods, it would be unfortunate to end up with 2 threads for the same emulsion and product.

Jason is 'J. Lane Dry Plates' your ongoing product and company name? I like it.

This thread is the wrong place for images going forward. IMHO
    Let's try to stick to our usual practice. As people get their hands on the plates and start to work with them, threads/posts that are for image sharing can go into the Image Sharing subforums, while threads/posts that are primarily intended for raising and discussing technical issues should go into the Darkroom: Film subforum. This thread should be reserved for Jason's announcements and for discussion with him about product specifications and availability. As always, discussions about individual orders should be conducted privately.

Looking forward to trying these plates myself and to seeing what others will do with them!

Good plan!

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Let's try to stick to our usual practice. As people get their hands on the plates and start to work with them, threads/posts that are for image sharing can go into the Image Sharing subforums, while threads/posts that are primarily intended for raising and discussing technical issues should go into the Darkroom: Film subforum. This thread should be reserved for Jason's announcements and for discussion with him about product specifications and availability. As always, discussions about individual orders should be conducted privately.

Looking forward to trying these plates myself and to seeing what others will do with them!

PM 1/1 plate order sent.

I suppose that "corner pieces" is the best packaging design as the corners are most liable to damage in the post?

You are going down an interesting historical path! You must keep some of the early plates to see if the speed increases over time.

Someone brought up a good question in a PM and I thought I'd share the answer: "Do I mix the Kodak Rapid Hardening Fixer at Film Strength or Paper Strength?"

Answer: Mix to Film Strength. In fact, on the instructions included in the box of KRHF, it stipulates "Films and Plates"

The instructions provide volumes only for 1 gallon or more.

I mix the KRHF 32oz at a time (and it lasts for a long time), using the following amounts and mixing per the instructions:

H2O: 16oz
    Solution A: 8 oz
    Solution B: 7/8 oz (26mL)

Mix per instructions then bring level to 32 oz with addition of more H2O.

Have you made plates in the 9x12 cm size? My cameras with plate holders are 9x12 and 5x7.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffBradford View Post
    Have you made plates in the 9x12 cm size? My cameras with plate holders are 9x12 and 5x7.
    Not yet but I can pretty easily if you'd like some. Probably do it this weekend. If you're interested send me a PM!

5x7's are coming soon