Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Fresh dry plates in a variety of sizes

Re: Fresh dry plates in a variety of sizes

Scan of first negative was posted to the new thread for glass plate negatives.

The unfixed emulsion shows in the scan as I have not cleaned it off yet.

After checking the plates this morning there is an area where the emulsion is very soft, one on each of the plates. The soft area is a swelling in the emulsion. It still holds detail but it sits just proud of the rest of the dried emulsion. It is soft enough to leave an impression when I touch it. The area is not connected with the minor edge frilling but is separate.

Not sure what to think of it or identify the cause. It is exposed, developed and fixed emulsion but it is soft and slight swollen up from the glass. Perhaps the hardener did not work in these sections?

Some details.
    Developer is Legacy Pro L110 dilution b. This is a rebranding of HC110 by Freestyle. (6 minutes 15 seconds)
    Stop is dilute vinegar. (1 minute)
    Fixer is home mixed hypo with Legacy Pro hardener added in the tray. (4 minutes)
    All chemicals mixed using distilled water.
    Washed with gently flowing tap water. (6 minutes)
    Temperatures ranged from 64F (developer) to 68F (wash water)
    Trays are Paterson 8x10 plastic trays.
    Agitation provided by slightly pushing the trays themselves at 30 second intervals.
    Plates were moved only to transfer between trays.
    Plates were held by edges.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

I saw your pic and that's a great result. Your description of the soft area sounds like the emulsion has yet to dry fully. If the plate sits flat without circulating air, the emulsion can take quite some time to fully dry out (overnight isn't unusual). When I set plates out to dry after coating or after developing, I'll put a small fan on them at a low setting ... just to get some circulation. Humidity and temperature play a role as well.

That's just a guess without seeing it, but that's what it sounds like especially if they are all like that.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Thanks John.

It is certainly possible that they did not get enough dry down time. They did sit overnight and I rested them at an angle so both sides got air but the room they were in is not directly heated so it can get down to 50F or lower at night. I'll let the next couple dry a bit longer to be sure.

EDIT - That is exactly what happened. I went and pulled the plates out of their storage sleeves and the swelling is gone. A bit more dry time is all that is needed.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    No it was from the emulsion lifting during the development process. I don't touch the emulsion when it's wet..
    Jason, I didn't know if we should ask technical questions in the image thread, so I will ask here - Randy Moe asked about emulsion curl on the edge, and asked if it was from your fingers - you respond above. My question is - do you touch the edge of the plate at any point after you put it in the developer?
    I think that is when I had the problem with my first (and only attempt so far) plate development - after it had been in the developer for a couple minutes, and I was gently rocking the tray, every minute, I put my finger in and lifted (by the edge) one side to get a better look - and at that point, the emulsion on that whole corner floated away from the glass.
    So, do you not touch the edges of the plate at all during any of the process? And if not, how do you move the plate from tray to tray during the process...if you use trays...?
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

I slip my finger or fingernail under the plate and lift up one edge. Then I gently grasp by the other edges, lift out of the tray, let it drain, and set it in the next.

I'm not near any glass but let me demonstrate with this Papa Ginos rewards card.

Fresh dry plates in a variety of sizes

When you go to shoot these plates, you might be using a camera with the US shutter system.

Here is a conversion for the different systems from that era converted to f/#. From https://randcollins.files.wordpress....agmnumbers.gif

Re: Newly Made Dry Plates and NOS as well - all sizes

1/4 Plate update. Got a 10 pack today from J.Lane. They are a bit big, I couldn't get them into 2 different make 1/4 plate glass plate holders. Both holders had removable NOS KODAK 3-1/4 X 4-1/4 Film sheaths that fit in and come out fairly easily. So I put them away. One holder was a wood DDS LN. The other Ikon Trona 212 1/4 Plate USA model.

Then I opened a NOS Stanley 1/4 Plate box and the first one dropped into the tightest holder which was a Trona SDS.

Yours were close Jason, but a bit wide and maybe longer. I didn't measure any plates as I didn't want to waste any.

Tomorrow i'll shoot, develop the Stanley plate and measure it.

Here's a pic of the old Stanley box. http://www.largeformatphotography.in...=1#post1426857

Well that's disappointing. Perhaps your holders are for tintype quarter plates, which are 3 1/8 x 4 1/8 and smaller than glass quarter plate at 3 1/4 x 4 1/4.

Well we are certainly getting a lot of extra information about the range of the smaller sized plate dimensions - back then!
    I suppose the same situation may exist with 1/2 plate sizes, some of which may have been a cabinet size!

How do you explain 3-1/4 x 4-1/4 Kodak Film Sheaths fitting in my holders?

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    Well that's disappointing. Perhaps your holders are for tintype quarter plates, which are 3 1/8 x 4 1/8 and smaller than glass quarter plate at 3 1/4 x 4 1/4.