Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Fresh dry plates in a variety of sizes

Re: Fresh dry plates in a variety of sizes

Thanks Jason, but I have a feeling I should have lifted the side of the tray much slower - The idea of "slow" may not have translated from my brain to my hand - I lifted it "short" rather than "slow"...if that makes sense. I raised each side about 1/4 - 1/2" but probably not near as slow as I should have.

It's probably like loading a black powder rifle for the first time...do as you are told!

My next attempt will be very slow agitation.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    Awesome!

Develop for 5 minutes in HC-110 dil B if you shoot ISO 2. There's still some development in the shadows going on almost all the way to that time. They'll come out nice at 5 minutes. You'll be tempted to pull it sooner, but your patience will be rewarded.
    Thanks. I think I developed for 7-8 minutes...compensated a bit for temperature drop from nominal in my still-cold darkroom. I also had the 6-year-old in the first photo "helping me" so wasn't being too exact on time measurement!

Like Randy, I am interested in an ambrotype-like process if possible. Viewed obliquely on a black background they look like a positive, but in "normal" diffuse light, not so much. I think my exposure, in light that was probably a bit warmer than optimal being later in the afternoon, was a little under.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I found a 3-1/4X4-1/4 Folmer- Kodak plate holder in my shed. With standard Kodak Film Sheaths. So Nominal 3-1/4X 4-1/4 plates should fit. The sheaths are 3.238 X 4.244 +-0.005

Nice design with flat steel spring under the plate. The holders have little hooks to capture the plate and when released the spring pushes the plate out. Nice and far better than a Premo.

I didn't find my 1/4 plate hangers yet. I have also have 2-1/4 X 3-1/4, 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10 hangers and use them for film. Since film is loose in all my hangers I think, but have not tested, plates fit right in.

Jason have you made any 1/4 plates yet?

Are the emulsions still the same? How will we know batches?

I have made Quarter Plates. I might even have some made up or at least have the glass cut.

See this listing:

https://www.etsystudio.com/listing/5...-65-half-plate

The emulsion batch number is on the back of the box. Right now I'm on batch #6. It was a 1 gallon batch (!), and I'm getting low enough that I need to make another. Which is awesome. The batches are all the same emulsions made to the same recipe, except that I used bigger containers. I take notes on each batch so if there's an issue I can reference my notes to troubleshoot.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Thanks Jason, but I have a feeling I should have lifted the side of the tray much slower - The idea of "slow" may not have translated from my brain to my hand - I lifted it "short" rather than "slow"...if that makes sense. I raised each side about 1/4 - 1/2" but probably not near as slow as I should have.

It's probably like loading a black powder rifle for the first time...do as you are told!

My next attempt will be very slow agitation.
    I kind of scoot mine around just a little bit.

Great!

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    I have made Quarter Plates. I might even have some made up or at least have the glass cut.

See this listing:

https://www.etsystudio.com/listing/5...-65-half-plate

The emulsion batch number is on the back of the box. Right now I'm on batch #6. It was a 1 gallon batch (!), and I'm getting low enough that I need to make another. Which is awesome. The batches are all the same emulsions made to the same recipe, except that I used bigger containers. I take notes on each batch so if there's an issue I can reference my notes to troubleshoot.

Warning about 1/4 plate holders. I found 2 of my NOS wood holders with flaps are NOT 1/4 plate. There are stamped in hard to see lettering.

3-1/4 X 4 Lantern Slide Made in USA Graflex Rochester. Be careful what you buy. Unless you want to make Lantern slides. I might.

These would require a shorter "1/4" plate. Definitely not film holders with no rebate and plenty of plate depth. Until you measure them, they look like my 3 other iterations.

Jason do not change my order. I want 'normal' 1/4 plate.

Sounds good. I can toss in a couple extra sized to lantern slides for you to play with. I have dimensions for lanterns of 3.25" x 3.25". You're saying 3.25x4, correct?.

Btw, does anybody have a "ninth-plate" sized camera? 2" x 2.5"? I'm cutting a ton of these from scraps and need to dump them on someone. :P

Edit: Also can I ask a favor? You folks who have bought plates through my Etsy store and have tried out the plates ... could you go there and pop in a review for me (hopefully with 5 stars!)?

My wife pointed out that if people like the plates so much then why don't I have any stars in my store... There was a wager made ... You will help me get a free steak dinner.

Thanks!
    Jason
    Last edited by Nodda Duma; 21-Jan-2018 at 21:23.

Suggestion, if I may - does your scraps allow for a 2 1/4 square? A workshop on wet/dry plates at my alma mater included shooting some 2 1/4 plates in a Holga. Students had a lot of fun with that size.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome