Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Fresh dry plates in a variety of sizes

Re: Fresh dry plates in a variety of sizes

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Thoms View Post
    Anyone process these in Pyrocat HD? Just got my 5x7 plates and the only developer I have on hand is Pyrocat. Seems like the hardening effect might be good.

Roger
    Please try it. I am ordering PF chems for Pyrocat HDC. But I won't be able to mix any until I find my itty bitty digital scale and mixing hotplate. The horrors of moving with so many boxes.

Jason, Randy, thanks for the replies. I went ahead and ordered HC-110, may try Pyrocat, but figured I’d start out with the recommended developer first. Keep it simple, right. Now to dig up my NOS 5x7 plate holders that were sold to as film holders and start shooting.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Please try it. I am ordering PF chems for Pyrocat HDC. But I won't be able to mix any until I find my itty bitty digital scale and mixing hotplate. The horrors of moving with so many boxes.
    By it pre-mixed in glycol? It lasts indefinitely that way, and you don't have to deal with powdered pyro.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    By it pre-mixed in glycol? It lasts indefinitely that way, and you don't have to deal with powdered pyro.
    I know that option is available. I want to mix my own. Now that I have a shed, I can mix safely there. I think the tanning feature of Pyro may be good for dry glass plate.

I tried 510 Pyro on 35mm, very interesting. Read the old threads. Many times. Sandy won me over simply by logic. I know it will work for me on film.

I need a big supply as once I get the Gas Burst system back up, I use 4 liters per run. And I'm cheap, the cost is good. Also it's time for me to add to my 'only Rodinol' developer stable after 7 years of loyalty.

I took to method everyone's advice to stick to one set of variables.

But Pyro waits a month for next paycheck as I just stretched my budget with an Engel refrigerator. It's for the mobile darkroom/RV/cargo trailer.

HDC is made with Glycol
    Last edited by Tin Can; 4-Feb-2018 at 17:16. Reason: HDC Glycol

Fresh dry plates in a variety of sizes

Any interest in lantern slides, 3 1/4" x 3 1/4"? I have a handful - 10 - of glass that size left over from cutting whole plates and half plates that I could coat if someone wants them.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Processed my first 4 plates, 5x7, went ahead and used HC-110, dilution B for 5 minutes. 2 of the plates look awesome and 2 are very contrasty. Bright sun and trees, go figure. Can't wait to print them, maybe next weekend. Also need to set up my scanner, been dragging my feet on that, but it would be nice to share some images.

Might add that the plates fit perfectly in my Kodak (manufactured by Graflex) plate holders. These are the late model black one with the aluminum light trap covers. I bought 4 of them a while back thinking the were film holders. The cool thing is that I went to a local store last weekend and found one more. So now I have a nice set of 5 matching holders which is great, since the 5x7 plates come in boxes of 10.

I'm also digging the ISO 2 rating, makes it really easy to shoot barrel lenses.

Roger

That's great!

To cut the contrast you can try a couple of things: Back off on agitation, expose at ISO 3 or 4 and develop for 7-10 minutes instead of 5, or try a lower contrast developer and develop to inspection.

Thanks for the report!

Jason

Jason, I have a question about shippibg. Are your rates correct as it would cost be I think it is 6 tines as much to have it shipped to Canada then just across the border in the States. It is the whole plates I am wondering about.

If those shipping rates are correct I will need to wait under May when we are dipping down to pick up some wet plate supplies and some film

Ivan

Hi Ivan,

First and foremost thank you for the interest!

I've never wanted these to cost more than they have to be..I worry about spending money just as much as anybody else, and getting your last dollar isn't my goal. So I spent quite a bit of time researching and comparing international shipping costs while balancing against the need to ensure the plates arrive intact. Speaking as an optical engineer with hard-earned experience shipping delicate optics, the less time in the hands of our beloved postal workers, the better. Sending broken plates isn't my goal, either.

Shipping via USPS International Priority for these size and weight packages is as competitive as I can find, even when not considering the trade-off with minimizing shipping time. If I remember correctly, the cost to Canada works out to about US$35 shipping for whole plate. First class shaves a few bucks but doubling the shipping time just increases risk of damage. While the postal service may eventually refund a damage claim, broken plates mean I just lost an evening's worth of effort to a postal worker's apathy, and a paying customer doesn't have plates to try out. It's something I prefer to avoid. So far the track record for shipping plates -- internationally as well as domestic -- is really good.

That said, I want to make it as easy on your wallet as I can. I encourage you to explore shipping rates for a 2 1/2 lb package sized 9"x11"x4" shipped from US zip code 03033 and if you find a lower rate with a method that you're happy with (other than DHL which I refuse to use), send me a link and I'll be more than happy to send them using your preferred method.

Higher shipping costs to Canada isn't unique to my plates: If you want lower shipping costs from the US then you have to join the Union as state #51. Otherwise everything has to go through customs and that costs $$. I could get in contact with a Canadian photography supplier and sell through them, but they would just add the shipping/customs cost to the retail price so you're still paying for it.

Regards,
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    Hi Ivan,

First and foremost thank you for the interest!

I've never wanted these to cost more than they have to be..I worry about spending money just as much as anybody else, and getting your last dollar isn't my goal. So I spent quite a bit of time researching and comparing international shipping costs while balancing against the need to ensure the plates arrive intact. Speaking as an optical engineer with hard-earned experience shipping delicate optics, the less time in the hands of our beloved postal workers, the better. Sending broken plates isn't my goal, either.

Shipping via USPS International Priority for these size and weight packages is as competitive as I can find, even when not considering the trade-off with minimizing shipping time. If I remember correctly, the cost to Canada works out to about US$35 shipping for whole plate. First class shaves a few bucks but doubling the shipping time just increases risk of damage. While the postal service may eventually refund a damage claim, broken plates mean I just lost an evening's worth of effort to a postal worker's apathy, and a paying customer doesn't have plates to try out. It's something I prefer to avoid. So far the track record for shipping plates -- internationally as well as domestic -- is really good.

That said, I want to make it as easy on your wallet as I can. I encourage you to explore shipping rates for a 2 1/2 lb package sized 9"x11"x4" shipped from US zip code 03033 and if you find a lower rate with a method that you're happy with (other than DHL which I refuse to use), send me a link and I'll be more than happy to send them using your preferred method.

Higher shipping costs to Canada isn't unique to my plates: If you want lower shipping costs from the US then you have to join the Union as state #51. Otherwise everything has to go through customs and that costs $$. I could get in contact with a Canadian photography supplier and sell through them, but they would just add the shipping/customs cost to the retail price so you're still paying for it.

Regards,
    Jason
    Thanks for your response. I will probably order them to be shipped to Idaho and to be picked up at the end of our holiday unless we decide to take them on our holidays.

No interested in joining your country and will be very much a fan of our women beating yours tonight at hockey (at least cheering on as both are great teams)