Thread: Berthiot anastigmats for large format

Berthiot anastigmats for large format

It is out: http://www.galerie-photo.com/berthio...tigmats_en.pdf

Informative, cures insomnia.

Re: Berthiot anastigmats for large format

Well done, Dan!

loujon

Terrific piece of writing brother Dan. I very much enjoyed and appreciate the effort.

Super boulot, merci Dan

Very informative. Thank you for the hard work Dan. I am a big fan of Benoist Berthiot and Som Berthiot Cinor lenses on medium format and 4x5.

Quote Originally Posted by renditiont View Post
    Very informative. Thank you for the hard work Dan. I am a big fan of Benoist Berthiot and Som Berthiot Cinor lenses on medium format and 4x5.
    Interesting. Benoist Berthiot made very few taking lenses. I'm surprised that Cinors cover MF, not to mention 4x5. Which ones do you use on 4x5?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Interesting. Benoist Berthiot made very few taking lenses. I'm surprised that Cinors cover MF, not to mention 4x5. Which ones do you use on 4x5?
    Definitely not taking lens Dan. Those lenses I used are projection lenses. And yes, the higher focal length ones of Cinors work on 4x5 at least portrait distance, at least with the 190mm f/2.9 and above. I'm currently using Cinor 70mm f1.5 for digital aps-c mode, and 145mm and 165mm for 6x6/6x7.

Here's the 165/2.4 Cinor last time I used on 3x4 SLR
    Last edited by renditiont; 24-Dec-2017 at 10:22.

Great work, for sure it will be reference on these lenses
    Last edited by Pere Casals; 24-Dec-2017 at 05:59.

Quote Originally Posted by renditiont View Post
    Definitely not taking lens Dan. Those lenses I used are projection lenses. And yes, the higher focal length ones of Cinors work on 4x5 at least portrait distance, at least with the 190mm f/2.9 and above. I'm currently using Cinor 75mm f1.5 for digital aps-c mode, and 145mm and 165mm for 6x6/6x7.

Here's the 165/2.4 Cinor last time I used on 3x4 SLR
    Thanks for the explanation. That the longer Cinors cover 4x5 is a surprise.

I don't practice lens abuse (using lenses on formats larger than they were intended to cover) but some people do it to good effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Thanks for the explanation. That the longer Cinors cover 4x5 is a surprise.

I don't practice lens abuse (using lenses on formats larger than they were intended to cover) but some people do it to good effect.
    I have been a prolific user of smaller lenses on large formats for a few years now, ranging from 16mm (and sometimes 8mm) lenses onto aps-c and full-frame, to 35mm/70mm format onto medium/larger formats. Abuse is a misnomer for me ; I like to think of it as creative uses with specific intents: to get higher central resolution on larger formats and greater corner aberrations to creative thinner effective depth of field for portraitures -- all while avoiding/minimizing vignetting by either passively removing rear mount or actual rear cutting. Definitely not for the weak of heart in some cases for sure. Aside from those, getting involve in lenses adaptations are definitely fun and there are tools these days on the market to assist for lenses adaptation. Below are some pics of the Som Berthiot Cinor 70mm f/1.5 in Petzval configuration with helicoid and fuji-x mount -- it should have a leaner look but I do not have smaller adapter at the moment.