Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rugged Rigidity of Various 4x5 field cameras: Wista, Toyo, Horseman

Dave Karp

Re: Rugged Rigidity of Various 4x5 field cameras: Wista, Toyo, Horseman

A Super Graphic?

A Crown Graphic could be a good starting point. That for explaining the difference as I don’t need th focal plane shutter.

Quote Originally Posted by jim10219 View Post
    I'm throwing in another vote for a Speed Graphic (if you want a focal plane shutter) or a Crown Graphic (if less weight is more important). They invented the Graflock back, so of course you can find one that comes with it (though not all models do, so be sure to check). They're cheap, rugged as hell (these were used in war zones for decades), and check all of the boxes for accessories that you require. Generally speaking, the only downsides to them are short bellows and limited movements. But if all you need is modest front rise, and don't plan on using any long lenses, then that would be my first choice. Either that, or one of the other press cameras like a Busch Pressman D. Press cameras were made for hand held shooting.
    Dallas Texas HABS / HAER / HALS Photography
    Photographer/Author Marfa Flights: Aerial Views of Big Bend Country (Texas A&M University Press)
    Petroleum Oil Pics

I’m thinking 135-150mm. With normal-ish lens I know from experience that I can visually clear the wing strut etc. Seems that having Copal 0 with 1/500 s shutter speed seems a given.

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    What FL do you intend to shoot??? If you need different FL's, you would use a bellows camera (if inside the aircraft avoiding slipstream winds vs your bellows) or a camera with different solid lens cones... If for a single FL/semi wide/lower altitude, a rigid sided camera with a 4X5 back are fairly common if you look around... The shorter the FL, the less image compensation will be required, maybe none if short FL enough...

Start with deciding the angle of view you desire, and figure out the FL that would work for you... All of the necessary tables and formulas are in one of the many aerial photography textbooks that can be had for less than a few bucks now, so get one now...

Talk to a working or retired aerial photographer in your area... I'm sure someone will be glad to answer your questions that come up, and might have a stash of gear you might be able to obtain...

Keep 'em flying!!!

Steve K
    Photographer/Author Marfa Flights: Aerial Views of Big Bend Country (Texas A&M University Press)
    Petroleum Oil Pics

Jack is that home brewed camera? Love it and thanks for the welcomed PM’s.
    Petroleum Oil Pics

Toyo 45AII and Horseman FA are both looking good. Thanks. I have a magic arm and super cla l. UT I can’t attach to the airframe if the plane as there is too much vibration tranmitted. In fact, I can’t even brace myself against the aircraft door when it’s on.
    Petroleum Oil Pics

There's a bunch of rigid walled non bellows cameras for just that FL, so great!!!

There's one in the classifieds now from Kumar in Japan, and many more out there...

But make friends with an aerial photographer... You won't regret it!!! ;-)

Steve K

Ari, I didn’t know that the Wista is optimized for Nikon lenses. This is very useful info as I consider lens choice. If I got 45RF it would usually be pre-focused on Infinity, locked-down, and use the RF as a viewfinder to frame the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    One thing to note with the Wista RF: it will work with any lenses of FLs 135mm, 150mm and 180mm, but the RF system was optimized for use with Nikon lenses. I don't know why it would matter, but it does.
    I ran into problems and gave up on rangefinder focusing because my non-Nikon lenses made the Wista explode (figuratively).
    Fantastic camera if you use only the GG for focusing.
    Petroleum Oil Pics

Oh, and also note that leaf shutters are usually a little iffy (usually slow) at their highest speeds and sometimes even don't open (rarely) if not operating correctly, so test it ASAP for speed accuracy before you fly & shoot... If you buy a lens, get a speed test chart for it...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by pchaplo View Post
    Jack is that home brewed camera? Love it and thanks for the welcomed PM’s.
    If you mean Jac (Jacques), then no, it is a modifed Printex 4x5 press camera.