Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Aerials: 125-150mm sharp@ f/8 for 4x5 minimal vignetting

Do or do not. There is no try.

Re: Aerials: 125-150mm sharp@ f/8 for 4x5 minimal vignetting

A possibility might be the original single-coated Fujinon-W "inside-lettering" lenses of 125mm, 135mm, or 150mm focal length. These all have image circles in excess of 200mm at f/22 so might meet your needs at f/8. You'd certainly have to test this, but if they meet your photographic needs they're well within your budget, in addition to being small and lightweight.

The later multi-coated Fujinons with the lettering around the outside of the front cell have smaller image circles at f/22 than the original version, so it's possible the IC at f/8 would also be smaller. Again, you'd have to test as you'd be using them in a way the designers had perhaps not considered.

Coupla thoughts.

$600 will buy a small pile of used 125/5.6, 135/5.6 or 150/5.6 Fujinon Ws (various vintages and subtypes) from Japanese sellers on eBay.

Shooting with no movements -- none should be needed for aerial photography -- a 125 will be down 0.9 stops center to corner and a 150 will be down 0.65 stops center to corner. Both are well within negative film's latitude. There's a reason why Rodenstock and Schneider don't recommend center filters for these focal lengths on 4x5.

Most of the lenses that fit the OP's stated requirements come in standard #0 shutters. A few are in #1s. The OP's desire for a lens in a larger shutter is going to be hard to satisfy -- yes, lenses can be reshuttered but the cost of adapters to fit a lens made for a #0 into a #0 isn't negligible -- and is misplaced. If he shoots with a cable release he'll put his paws near the shutter only to recock, and if he gets a lens in a press shutter he won't have to do even that. In WW II USAF used several aerial cameras that had ~ 163 mm lenses in cock-and-shoot shutters. Aircrew wore gloves or mittens. The cameras worked satisfactorily.

As far as I know -- Joe McGloin, do any of your Fuji catalogs report coverage at apertures larger than f/22? -- Fuji reported only coverage at f/22. Nikon, however, reported coverage at f/8 and f/22. Fuji usually claimed more coverage than Nikon, so Nikon's claims for f/8 should set a lower bound on comparable Fujinons. The 135/5.6 Nikkor W covers 156 mm @ f/8, the 150/5.6 174 mm.

Hi Jac,
    Do you mean the Zeiss Biogons and Planars? If so, our good taste strikes again - but my post says budget <US$600. Let me know if there is either available within that price range. Dear Santa...

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    For aerial wide work, I prefer a later Biogon design. Shoot wide open. Faster shutter speeds are a good thing.

I don't know if it is still the case, but for certification of aerial survey work, lenses were tested wide open whether they have adjustable aperture or not. Bigons perform well that way.

Another favorite of mine is the 135mm ƒ3.5 Planar. It covers, is fast and sharp wide open.
    Dallas Texas HABS / HAER / HALS Photography
    Photographer/Author Marfa Flights: Aerial Views of Big Bend Country (Texas A&M University Press)
    Petroleum Oil Pics

Jim,

Thanks, I will look at the 135 APO Sironar N. Regarding the filter, great idea but I will be very low altitude hopefully with little haze, and likely not able to accommodate a filter factor of a red. Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Michael View Post
    From the cockpit of a C172 I’ll suggest haze will be a factor for which a filter might come in handy, perhaps even some IR film. Try a red filter. For a lens you might consider a 135 Apo Sironar N, which might fit within your budget.
    Dallas Texas HABS / HAER / HALS Photography
    Photographer/Author Marfa Flights: Aerial Views of Big Bend Country (Texas A&M University Press)
    Petroleum Oil Pics

Quote Originally Posted by pchaplo View Post
    Hoping for working aperture and shutter speed of f/8 @ 1/500 sec.
    As the one who also would like to do the aerial photography one day, I would like to know if this shutter speed is sufficient or what difficulties it contains?

Dave Karp

If you a are thinking about the 135mm APO Sironar N, keep an eye out for the plain Sironar N or better yet, a Caltar II-N. Same exact lens. Probably lower price.

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    If you a are thinking about the 135mm APO Sironar N, keep an eye out for the plain Sironar N or better yet, a Caltar II-N. Same exact lens. Probably lower price.
    A “plain Sironar N” and the Apo Sironar N are quite different. For one major, and very important difference for aerial work is that the Apo Sironar N is multi coated. The “plain Sironar N” is not, unless it is marked MC. Then it is a later version lens then the lplain Sironar N”.

Suggest, Schneider 150mm f4.5 Xenar or the later 150mm f5.6 Xenar in black copal shutter or similar Tessar formula. These tend to be optimized near f8, moderate cost and smaller than a similar focal length modern Plasmat.

Often over looked, often under appreciated for their performance capabilities.

Bernice

Good luck and Merry Christmas.

Jim,

Thanks, I will look at the 135 APO Sironar N. Regarding the filter, great idea but I will be very low altitude hopefully with little haze, and likely not able to accommodate a filter factor of a red. Merry Christmas!

Hi Jac,
    Do you mean the Zeiss Biogons and Planars? If so, our good taste strikes again - but my post says budget <US$600. Let me know if there is either available within that price range. Dear Santa...
    My bad for not reading carefully. Indeed, for some reason the 135mm Planars are priced on the moon. Beware of those on the 'bay which are affordable, but in the wrong shutter or have mismatched elements.

At the risk of repeating advice, a fast shutter speed is really important. Aperture, not so much.

Best of luck to you.