Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: CatLABS quick review of Intrepid 8x10 camera

Re: CatLABS quick review of Intrepid 8x10 camera

"Skip the 18 month waitlist" for some is worth the extra cost. In my opinion I would rather wait but you know there are always those who want to have it now. Especially with 2018 coming up I'm sure there is someone who will want to have this ASAP for some new year's resolution of going out and shooting more 8x10.

In the end who cares? I'm sure we all do something similar ourselves and overpay on shipping just to get items the next day or the same week etc.

Do the intrepid cameras come with some sort if finish on the plywood? If not, I recommend you put some poly on it before using it outdoors.

Check the Intrepid 5x4 thread - there is a fair bit about the finish and treatment of the wood.

Just out of asking, where did the '18-month waiting list' come from??

Quote Originally Posted by axs810 View Post
    "Skip the 18 month waitlist" for some is worth the extra cost. In my opinion I would rather wait but you know there are always those who want to have it now. Especially with 2018 coming up I'm sure there is someone who will want to have this ASAP for some new year's resolution of going out and shooting more 8x10.

In the end who cares? I'm sure we all do something similar ourselves and overpay on shipping just to get items the next day or the same week etc.
    http://www.davidfearnphotography.co.uk
    see too my 5x4 and 8x10 flickr albums

Intrepid Camera

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    No idea, our lead time for 8x10s is currently 12 weeks, maybe its a tongue in cheek comment about the delay on kickstarter . I will be interested to see if the camera sells for that amount. On a side note I think CatLabs 10% discount for all non male buyers is fantastic, around 90% of our customers are men and I suspect that a chunk of the other 10% are buying for men.

Between here and there

As far as I can judge it, the camera is at the limit of what is possible to do with the given materials at that price point.

The issue of "losing the screw" to the front standard is the same as with other, more expensive cameras.

The bungee cord (not rubber) likely holds up well over time, but perhaps a broader one, or some other construction that keeps the cord from moving up and down too much would be a good thing. Going from 4x5 to 8x10, every issue is squared, not doubled. Maybe getting rid of the cord and going in some other direction? It is actually only that lateral movement that I found a bit iffy.

The video itself ... well, I have seen better, more thoughtful takes on constructive criticism.

It is impressive how much Intrepid keep on their toes to improve things. I am looking forward to see how the 5x7 back works out.

So it would appear that the CatLabs review was totally independent since he obviously purchased the camera with his own money. Now he is attempting to recoup that money.

That seems to me like it is a good thing, not something to cast aspersions at.

But, what do I know?
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    Ha! I totally overlooked that...I thought it was 18 weeks but he is probably just joking at how long it takes to get the intrepid camera lol. Like Max said maybe it's a tongue in cheek comment

Quote Originally Posted by AuditorOne View Post
    So it would appear that the CatLabs review was totally independent since he obviously purchased the camera with his own money. Now he is attempting to recoup that money.

That seems to me like it is a good thing, not something to cast aspersions at.

But, what do I know?
    1. We don't know he bought it with his own money
    2. A review isn't independent b/c you bought it with your own money
    3. Recouping your investment isn't selling something at twice the going rate.