Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CatLABS quick review of Intrepid 8x10 camera

Re: CatLABS quick review of Intrepid 8x10 camera

Nice review. I am actually interested in the long term survival of this design and that was actually one of the reasons that I did not jump on the Kickstarter for this camera.

My 4x5 Intrepid is an absolutely awesome camera and the design for that size of a camera seems almost perfect. After two years bouncing hither and yon in a Lowepro backpack my own Kickstarter 4x5 is still very solid and works as well as it did when the box that contained it first arrived at my door.

Of course 8x10 is a lot larger. This Intrepid is a very light camera for 8x10 and it will be interesting to see how the owners feel about these cameras after having backpacked with them for a year. Will they be robust or will they come apart on the trail too easily? A smaller, 4x5 camera is almost certainly less affected by the stresses of backpacking than this larger camera will be, so there may be more need for revisions than there was on the 4x5. I do want to buy one but instead of being an early adopter I think I'll wait a bit until the bugs are worked out.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

Intrepid Camera

Hello, Max from Intrepid Camera Here,

A few comments on the video, if I may. It seems that the main problem Catlabs had was a faulty part, we did get that fixed very quickly and it sorted out the problem. As for the robustness of the camera, the bungee cords are designed to be used out to sea for years in much harsher conditions than that of on an 8x10 camera. They are the same type we use on our 4x5 camera and in over 1500 camera no one to my knowledge has had an issue with them. In the video to test the sturdiness of the front standard they grab it right at the top and wobble it, I think the front standard of most 8x10s would wobble if you did this, fortunately though it is never something you would do out in the field. I appreciate i'm going to be a little biased here but the camera is well made and robust, it was a shame Catlabs got one with a fault and I think that strongly influenced the tone of the video. We have had feedback from several other users, users who have put film through the cameras, and that feedback has been very positive. We have also learnt from the fault on the Catlabs camera and that will not be made again, I will keep an eye on this thread if anyone has any questions

For what it's worth, I received mine last week and have put a few sheets through it, and so far, so good. I did not have the issues that Omer did (loose screws, etc.) and feel that, as Michael suggested, my older cameras react much the same way to the various pushing and prodding that the camera received in the video. It is an inexpensive, lightweight camera, and its flaws, such as they are, mostly stem from that. So do its virtues.

I look forward to carrying mine out and about, which I am far more likely to do given its lightness and flexibility. I am able to repair just about anything on it myself, should something go wrong, and don't mind modifying it if I see an interesting opportunity to do so. That's worth something to me.

For those who want the best in precision, solidness, beauty, etc., it is not the right solution. But for those looking for a starter camera, something easy to carry, something you might want to modify yourself, or something inexpensive, I think it's a good option. They have good customer service, which I have made use of, and seem to be working to improve the models over time. I have no regrets for my purchase and wish them success.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Grew View Post
    Hello, Max from Intrepid Camera Here,

A few comments on the video, if I may. It seems that the main problem Catlabs had was a faulty part, we did get that fixed very quickly and it sorted out the problem. As for the robustness of the camera, the bungee cords are designed to be used out to sea for years in much harsher conditions than that of on an 8x10 camera. They are the same type we use on our 4x5 camera and in over 1500 camera no one to my knowledge has had an issue with them. In the video to test the sturdiness of the front standard they grab it right at the top and wobble it, I think the front standard of most 8x10s would wobble if you did this, fortunately though it is never something you would do out in the field. I appreciate i'm going to be a little biased here but the camera is well made and robust, it was a shame Catlabs got one with a fault and I think that strongly influenced the tone of the video. We have had feedback from several other users, users who have put film through the cameras, and that feedback has been very positive. We have also learnt from the fault on the Catlabs camera and that will not be made again, I will keep an eye on this thread if anyone has any questions
    Thanks for your response Max. You and your partner's commitment to this project is the single biggest reason I was interested in this camera in the first place. That and the fact that my 4x5 has been so terrific.

I am particularly impressed with your obvious focus on building cameras for those who would probably never try one without Intrepid. That is truly awesome.

Good luck and I hope it all works out wonderfully. Your company has a lot going for it and may you never get bored.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

I'm viewing it as a hotrodding platform, and already have a couple of ideas.....
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

post photos of the mods !!
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

For what it's worth, a friend a colleague, one of NZ's most celebrated photographers, recently went to the Intrepid workshop and saw the camera. He is going to buy one and thinks it looks great, especially for big walks where his Deardorff would be really difficult to carry. He's a fussy guy, so in essence his endorsement is good enough recommendation for me.

Still want a Chamonix though :-)

Quote Originally Posted by bjsmith7474 View Post
    Also, I'd keep in mind who the reviewer is and what his interests are. My interactions with him have been, unfortunately, less than stellar. And in my opinion, his knowledge of photography and large format gear is largely limited to what something costs and how much he can sell it for. And, I almost forgot, I just got my Intrepid today! Yes, it has some limitations, but for the costs and weight I think it's going to be great.
    mmm, that's interesting, the Cameras that he sells aren't the cheapest, however he is providing a service, particularly for used 8 x 10's (through his ebay shop)

it's difficult to see anything other than that this is a pretty negative review..............I haven't checked any of his other you tube reviews etc. The bottom line is that this is obviously an entry level Camera in that format which works, has decent movements and is without the dreaded light leaks. Prices of used 8 x 10's have (to me) increased considerably during the past few years and I had found it really difficult to find anything in Europe priced at under, £1,250. I'd pretty well given up before finding a seriously good Toyo G with accessories for considerably less than my budget. Pure luck imo

...........but for Students/those on a small budget or just enthusiasts looking at this format, the price is an absolute steal - £480 for the Camera and £25 for a board, assuming that one has a lens and a holder.............terrific and I'm neither financially associated with the product nor related to the guys involved

whether it's solid enough outside on a windy day............? who knows but if your interest is portraiture in a studio, well here's your entry level camera......and if it was me, I would always remove the back before inserting the holder

best wished to all past and future buyers

Andrew

Very sensible comments Andrew! I hadn't noticed the drift in 8x10 camera pricing, but there never were many 8x10 camera in Europe anyway, apart from "installed" big Sinars.

Like everyone else, I was struck by the lateral movement of the whole front standard. But I can see the assembly system and metal members are exactly the same on just about all of the newly-made prestige cameras. I don't know whether it really will influence performance in the same way ensuring the front and rear standards plane relative to each other does. I don't have the problem of side-ways movement as I use tailboard cameras (18x24, 24x30 and 30x40cm) were there is zero displacement - but less movements, of course.

Perhaps 18x24 tailboards could be economic replacement for 8x10 (and full plate)? You would have to struggle to find one that costs more than 300 gbp with a set of 3 double book film holders. Most photography is done with very little use of "full" movements.

Thx indeed Steven

Andrew