Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cleaning of slow shutters

Re: Cleaning of slow shutters

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Wouldn’t you be wiser if you directly asked this question to a camera repair shop or lens manufacturer?
    Well, I are a camera repair tech, so...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapidrob View Post
    I have several shutters of the Copal type from 0 to 1's that are way out of time and hang up due to migrated oil or dust over the decades onto the blades. I have a large ultrasonic cleaner and was wondering if I could place the shutters in a container filled with the appropriate cleaner and set the container in the ultrasound cleaner filled with water. I can also control the temperature as well.
    NEVER put ANYTHING against the bottom of an ultrasonic cleaner. Doing so will destroy the cleaner.

Put whatever you want to clean in a hanging basket. That can contain whatever you want.
    I usually put large items directly in the basket, and smaller ones in a beaker in the basket.

I normally disassemble a shutter, clean the major individual parts, then put the escapement
    in the ultrasonic cleaner for a half hour or so.

Having done so, it must be completely and properly lubricated before returning it to service.
    This may require several different lubricants, applied where and as needed.
    ALWAYS follow the manufacturer's recommendations regarding lubricant, both type and use.

There are very few points other than the escapement that requite any lubrication.
    DO NOT disassemble the escapement.
    If you do, we'll find you in a heavy jacket in a rubber room.

NEVER put any lube on the diaphragm or shutter blades or their drives.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Well, I are a camera repair tech, so...

NEVER put ANYTHING against the bottom of an ultrasonic cleaner. Doing so will destroy the cleaner.

Put whatever you want to clean in a hanging basket. That can contain whatever you want.
    I usually put large items directly in the basket, and smaller ones in a beaker in the basket.

I normally disassemble a shutter, clean the major individual parts, then put the escapement
    in the ultrasonic cleaner for a half hour or so.

Having done so, it must be completely and properly lubricated before returning it to service.
    This may require several different lubricants, applied where and as needed.
    ALWAYS follow the manufacturer's recommendations regarding lubricant, both type and use.

There are very few points other than the escapement that requite any lubrication.
    NEVER put any lube on the diaphragm or shutter blades.

- Leigh
    Hi Leigh,
    When applying lube to the escapement do you lube the axle of the gears or the gear teeth or both?

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Larsen View Post
    Hi Leigh,
    When applying lube to the escapement do you lube the axle of the gears or the gear teeth or both?
    Only on the axles, and in minute quantities.

These devices are amazing considering they were made entirely by hand, i.e. not computerized machines.

I have a pocket watch (in my watch pocket at present) that was made in 1887. It still keeps perfect time.

- Leigh

I'm an avid user of the ultrasound cleaner and do of course use the hanging basket/tray in the cleaner. I've used it to clean clock works for decades.
    I was hoping I did not have to disassemble the shutter to clean it.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

As an important side note, the most common cause of these slow shutters is improper storage. Shutters should be stored uncocked, with the speed set to "B" or "T". If you store the shutter at a timed speed, there is tension on the spring that drives the shutter, and the higher the speed, the greater the tension. Over time, this will reduce the "springiness" of the spring, making it weaker, and the shutter more sluggish. Being cocked may add even more tension on some designs.

If you're lucky, a few days being left without tension at the B or T may bring the shutter back, at least a little bit.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Thank you for the tip. It makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    As an important side note, the most common cause of these slow shutters is improper storage. Shutters should be stored uncocked, with the speed set to "B" or "T". If you store the shutter at a timed speed, there is tension on the spring that drives the shutter, and the higher the speed, the greater the tension. Over time, this will reduce the "springiness" of the spring
    Sorry to disagree, Mark, but that's simply not true.

As I mentioned earlier, I have a 130-year-old pocket watch that still keeps perfect time.
    It gets wound every day, and never sits unwound.

- Leigh

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidrob View Post
    I was hoping I did not have to disassemble the shutter to clean it.
    It does not need to be done very often, perhaps every 10-20 years.

But it DOES need to be done.

- Leigh

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Sorry to disagree, Mark, but that's simply not true.

As I mentioned earlier, I have a 130-year-old pocket watch that still keeps perfect time.
    It gets wound every day, and never sits unwound.

- Leigh
    Pocket watches are designed to run perpetually, days of continuous use per winding, one winding after another. Shutters are designed to slam relatively large shutter blades open and shut for fractions of a second, occasionally. Different mechanisms altogether.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Pete Oakley

The advice about storing shutters uncocked and set to T (preferably) or on B if T is not an option was posted on this site several years ago by Carol from Flutots, if you don't want to take Carols advice..........get on with it!
    Pete.