Thread: New Tripod Choice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New Tripod Choice

Good day to all, my trusty Manfrotto 3021 tripod broke while traveling from CA to OK. It’s covered by insurance and I’ll be getting a new one soon. The one above was my day to day user for smaller formats and such. The 3021 is no longer made so now I’m looking for a new one at a similar price point and capability. Ones I’m looking at are Manfrotto’s 055 series, Giottos 9314 series and the Benro TMA27a Mach 3 series. If anyone out has used one of these or something similar please share with me your experience with them or if you can recommend another tripod that would be helpful. My preference is aluminum and to keep the price near the check amount (<$220). Thanks in advance for any help.

R/
    Dave

Re: New Tripod Choice

I have two 055s, a Berlebach and a big crutch-legged Bogen, but the 055s get the most use, as being the most functionlly-designed. Tenth prize goes to the wooden beast--it looks good, but isn't nearly as functional as the 055s. When I get my 8x10 Intrepid, that will go on an 055. I can put my 8x10 Ansco view on one, and it's within weight specs, but that scares me. The think I like about the Manfrottos are their reliability and speed.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

I have a Gitzo 1326 MK2 that was thrown into the bundle when I purchased my Linhof Master Technika 4x5 five years ago, and only lightly used since then (it's in like new condition). It is aluminum, with a center column, and weighs between 6 and 7lbs, and rated to hold up to 22lbs. There are a couple available on eBay, but I'd be willing to send it to you FOR FREE if you're interested - and if you'll pay the shipping. PM me if you're interested. ...
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by JMO View Post
    I have a Gitzo 1326 MK2 that was thrown into the bundle when I purchased my Linhof Master Technika 4x5 five years ago, and only lightly used since then (it's in like new condition). It is aluminum, with a center column, and weighs between 6 and 7lbs, and rated to hold up to 22lbs. There are a couple available on eBay, but I'd be willing to send it to you FOR FREE if you're interested - and if you'll pay the shipping. PM me if you're interested. ...
    PM coming soon.

R/
    Dave