Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Easter Break in Moab

Easter Break in Moab

My son and daughter have been doing really well at their studies, so I was thinking of treating them to a short trip to Moab this Spring---a little mountain biking, a little river rafting, a little hiking in Arches--- that sort of stuff.
    While Zion would be closer, hiking the Narrows would be the big draw there and I understand that gets dangerous during the monsoon season, so Moab?
    Is Moab Adventure Center a good outfitter for booking?
    We'll need a room for at least a part of our stay---any recommended motels in Moab?
    Thanks!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Easter Break in Moab

It's a zoo over Easter with the jeep safari going on. I would pick somewhere else that time of year...

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: Easter Break in Moab

If your children are on the semester system, open to replacing the mountain bike with snow shoes when the conditions dictate (whether mountain or road bike you are allowed to ride on paved roads only), and can otherwise swing it, right now until the beginning of the spring semester at the end of January is the best time to go IMHO. Why: The motels in DT Moab are empty and the rates low (I paid $28/night for a room with 3 beds and a color TV, Continental breakfast included); zero crowds inside the park with your pick of campgrounds if camping is your thing; and the winter sky and lighting are superb. Most of the trails are rated easy to moderate and are up to 2 miles or so. When I was there last during a January there was hardly any snow on the ground and didn't need the snow shoes.

Here's the weather outlook for the next 7 days: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...0#.Wj6-At-nHIV The current situation with the High pressure system hugging the coast is likely bringing more snow to Utah but that system won't last. Even so, Arches with a dusting of snow may be more photogenic than without.

Thomas

Re good basic motels in Moab, I've stayed at both the Adventure Inn (Mar. 2015 & Oct. 2016) and Inca Inn (Oct. 2016) which are next door to each other on No. Main Street. These are good, clean and basic motels with all ground level rooms. Of the two, I'd give a slight edge to the Inca Inn, which has a few more rooms and a somewhat better breakfast offering.
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

I can also recommend Inca Inn as a good no frills place to stay in Moab. I’ve stayed there on 3 or 4 occasions. Unusual colored-light shower heads!

As mentioned, Winter is a good time to avoid the crowds

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Larsen View Post
    It's a zoo over Easter with the jeep safari going on. I would pick somewhere else that time of year...
    Can’t agree more! For Easter I’d stay in Kanab and try for permits to the wave. Lots of other places if you don’t get drawn.
    You can't teach an old dog new tech's!

Drew Wiley

Just a few days ago I reprinted some old 4X5's of Fisher Towers and the Colorado River toward Cisco back when Moab was a distinctly unfriendly mining town. Now it's overrun with cyclists. Negro Bill Canyon is a hiking gem just a few miles out of town. If we see any climbers rappelling from Morning Glory Arch causing rope-burn marks, please lynch them with their own rope. Deadhorse Point and Arches are nearby. It's fairly easy to find solitude except in a few predictable postcard spots. Lots of trail bike opportunities, though last time I was there, the grocery store cashier said they were willing to pay a bounty for any cyclist you are able to run over with a truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Just a few days ago I reprinted some old 4X5's of Fisher Towers and the Colorado River toward Cisco back when Moab was a distinctly unfriendly mining town. Now it's overrun with cyclists. Negro Bill Canyon is a hiking gem just a few miles out of town. If we see any climbers rappelling from Morning Glory Arch causing rope-burn marks, please lynch them with their own rope. Deadhorse Point and Arches are nearby. It's fairly easy to find solitude except in a few predictable postcard spots. Lots of trail bike opportunities, though last time I was there, the grocery store cashier said they were willing to pay a bounty for any cyclist you are able to run over with a truck.
    The Moab area has changed so much in just the last 10 years. It has become Yosemite like with the traffic. Islands in the sky isn't too bad but Arches is almost not worth it anymore. Even the remote Needles district is crowded now. We tried to camp there in February thinking we'd have the place to ourselves only to find the campground full. The only just a few years ago it was much less crowded. On the other hand, the maze district is still the place for solitude mostly because the roads are impassable by passenger cars. I used to go to the area a few times a month as it's only an hour away, not so much anymore unless I'm playing tour guide. I don't know why the area suddenly became so popular to the masses in recent years but I bet it's at least a tenfold increase in visitors.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

The first time I was in Moab, 1970 or '71, I thought Moab was just a gas station. Pulled up on a cold night night to fill-up to find a woman wearing overalls illuminated by the headlights peering at me through the windshield. In those days most gas stations were not self-service.

Thomas

Drew Wiley

My main gripe in mid-Spring is sand flies in damp washes. Nov is my favorite month, though it gets cold at night, and one must be cautious around inebriated deer hunters up in the aspens in the lovely nearby Abajo mtns. But I've easily found total solitude as well as great scenery even a short distance from popular spots in Arches. Just walk the opposite direction as everyone else! That formula even works around here in the Golden Gate headlands. If I were to go back to the high SW soon, I'd want to spend some more quality time in Escalate/Grand Staircase, just in case the coming string of lawsuits fail and the area does get ransacked and polluted as mandated for low-grade coal extraction. But too many tourists have spoiled certain places too. Glad I have my memories.