Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extreme Minimal Agitation Video and promotion thru 2017

Extreme Minimal Agitation Video and promotion thru 2017

See the below video link for specifically designed tubes for Extreme Minimal Agitation processing
    Get two EMA tubes for your specific size film when purchasing either my 5 component Video Series or the 3 component Super Trifecta Video Series available here:

https://gumroad.com/stevesherman

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SGS_EMA_Tubes.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	173075

Real photographs are born wet !

www.PowerOfProcessTips.com

Re: Extreme Minimal Agitation Video and promotion thru 2017

Steve, does this mean that large format photography is now an extreme sport?

Those have my interest, is there a link to something that shows what Extreme Minimal Agitation does? Like a comparison to tray or rotary?

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Those have my interest, is there a link to something that shows what Extreme Minimal Agitation does? Like a comparison to tray or rotary?
    Thanks for your interest, bear in mind Video and Computer monitor degrade the actual difference in acutance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8r_DDkd--g&t=234s

Quote Originally Posted by h2oman View Post
    Steve, does this mean that large format photography is now an extreme sport?
    Always has been, don't you agree !!

Two days left to get a free set of EMA processing tubes with the purchase of my 3 Video Super Trifecta or the complete 5 component Video Series here: https://gumroad.com/stevesherman

If you are wondering about the results of ordinary HC 110 developer versus PyroCat HD in an Extreme Minimal Agitation technique see this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8r_DDkd--g

When I was a student at the Rochester Institute of Technology in the 1970s, under Hollis Todd I researched and did "Extreme minimal Agitation". My notes have been long lost over the years. What I remember is that I used a very dilute solution of Rodinal with a 9% solution of Sodium Sulfite. A lot of developer for tray development. In the dark for around an hour. Intermittent agitation was minimally maybe every 10 minutes? Results were very good but then got even better, excellent, results with another developer that I mixed from scratch (easy to do at the time since all the chemicals were free for students to use)... formula that I used, long lost. Was discouraged as I went along since it took more than an hour in the dark to process one sheet of 8x10 film. Tried processing multiple sheets once in one tray with less than optimal results.
    Just adding in my 2 cents...

Steve thanks for the link. I'll have to check out your other videos too.

I also experimented with another version of very dilute Rodinal in tubes. In fact it was the first thread I started on LF back in 2006. It was rollfilm, though, I never did try it with sheet film. I have not done anything with it since; I may need to re-explore the concepts.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    When I was a student at the Rochester Institute of Technology in the 1970s, under Hollis Todd I researched and did "Extreme minimal Agitation". My notes have been long lost over the years. What I remember is that I used a very dilute solution of Rodinal with a 9% solution of Sodium Sulfite. A lot of developer for tray development. In the dark for around an hour. Intermittent agitation was minimally maybe every 10 minutes? Results were very good but then got even better, excellent, results with another developer that I mixed from scratch (easy to do at the time since all the chemicals were free for students to use)... formula that I used, long lost. Was discouraged as I went along since it took more than an hour in the dark to process one sheet of 8x10 film. Tried processing multiple sheets once in one tray with less than optimal results.
    Just adding in my 2 cents...
    Interesting to hear Greg. As an FYI, what I am doing is directly dependent on the Developer exhausting several times during the processing cycle anywhere from 20 - 60 minutes. Only when developer exhausts will Adjacency Effects happen. Also, I use a Pyro developer as there is no Sodium Sulfite, SS is the enemy of high acutance negatives as SS promotes Silver Migration where as Pyro hardens the films emulsion in the first few minutes of time in chemistry and therefore acutance is preserved and actually heighten because of the tanning effects in concert with a Pyro stain.
    Being as close to you as I am you should consider stopping over sometime to see side by side comparisons of Minimal Agitation negs versus those processed with continuos agitation. Thanks for commenting.
    Cheers, SS

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Steve thanks for the link. I'll have to check out your other videos too.

I also experimented with another version of very dilute Rodinal in tubes. In fact it was the first thread I started on LF back in 2006. It was rollfilm, though, I never did try it with sheet film. I have not done anything with it since; I may need to re-explore the concepts.
    Thanks for commenting, early on in my EMA discovery I shared my technique with a good friend and fine photographer who tried using Rodinol @ a 1:200 Dilution and getting some very nice Adjacency Effects from his roll film. Keep us all posted on any results you may come across.

Cheers, SS