Thread: New Zealand North Island in late FEB 2018

New Zealand North Island in late FEB 2018

I was a last minute add to a crew that's heading to Wellington to put on a play in Feb. I managed to get an early flight on their dime to put me into NZ two days early. I've never been to the southern hemisphere before, let alone the south pacific (i'm a new yorker).

I'm considering renting a car and just driving to the middle of the North Island to find some landscapes to take photos. My quick 15 minutes of research for interesting places just shows me areas around Auckland and down in the South Island, which I think are too far for me to travel with only 48 hours. I'm also on a pretty tight budget, this company is not paying me a real paycheck, just a per diem and airfare.

Anybody have any pointers? I'm considering Taranaki Falls and Mount Ruapehu. I really really wanted to go see the glow worm caves but I think that's out of reach.

I'm bringing a 4x5 with mostly BW, a pano 35mm, and a dslr just in case.
    aaronamodt.com

Re: New Zealand North Island in late FEB 2018

IMHO the powerful thing is spending at least some 2 weeks in the South Island, plenty of beauty there. I'd take also some Velvia sheets for that.

You are to fly 15000km just to miss the South Island?

If you can gather the cash and if you can delay your return those 2 weeks you will never forget it.

I have a similar itinerary: trip to Welington in February, with a day or two free, so I'll be interested to see what recommendations come up. I will only bring a fairly compact camera kit; for me it would only be a distraction to have multiple cameras for such a short time. I certainly won't get as far as Taranaki Falls. If I get out of town I expect it will be to one or more of the forest parks in the region. I agree with Pere that the South Island is fantastic, but I'm looking forward to finding new things in and around Wellington.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I was a last minute add to a crew that's heading to Wellington to put on a play in Feb. I managed to get an early flight on their dime to put me into NZ two days early. I've never been to the southern hemisphere before, let alone the south pacific (i'm a new yorker).
    Returning to Vietnam during the war, the big cargo doors on the C-41 blew out at 30,000 or so feet 45 minutes out of Wake Island. Blew out all the duffle bags that were strapped down inside the door, insulation from the walls, and would have also took some of the passengers and crew members were it not for the fact that we were strapped-in the upright position waiting to be served "steak and ice cream" by the crew whom all were in the back loading the food carts. We returned to Wake where I spent an enjoyable week swimming in the Pacific, touring the American and Japanese defensive positions from WWII (http://www.historynet.com/battle-of-wake-island), and drinking beer in the afternoons in a scenic bamboo bar facing a lagoon. "This place looks familiar" I said, and the bartender replied "Did you ever see 'Donovan's Reef' with John Wayne? It was filmed here." Well that turned out not to be true but it sure did look like the one in the movie.

If it were me I'd take my F6 for color and the Pentax 645NII for B&W along with a series 0 Gitzo CF.

Thomas

If there were any possibility, I would grab a flight to Rotorua and spend all my time around all the geothermal areas.
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

I'm considering a day trip to Kapiti Island, a protected flora/fauna reserve. Wildlife, recovering native forests. Another interesting-looking spot not too far from town (2 hours drive?) is the Putangirua Pinnacles. Honestly, though, I'm more likely to spend my limited free time in and around Wellington. There are lots of gardens, parks, and reserves, hilltop lookouts over the city and the harbor, beaches.

Hoping some locals will chime in.

rotorua was definitely on my list. thinking of flying up there, renting a car and driving down to wellington from there

tgtaylor, that's quite a story
    aaronamodt.com

Tongariro National Park is about 150 miles north of Wellington -- worth going to.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Tongariro National Park is about 150 miles north of Wellington -- worth going to.
    +1

If you only have a few days, confining your travels to the Wellington/Wairarapa area makes a lot of sense as Dario has suggested. There are a wealth of things to discover on the North Island.
    I can highly recommend Tararua Forest Park to the north of Wellington. If you do head down to the Putangirua Pinnacles you’re on the doorstep of Aorangi Forest Park, Cape Palliser and the coastline to east. If coastline is your thing, Castle Point might be worth putting on your list too.