Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TSA and View Cameras

Mike Lewis

Re: TSA and View Cameras

I used to travel a lot on business, flying out of Baltimore's busy BWI Airport. I took my Linhof Technika with me as often as I could. In general, the TSA agents at large airports have seen everything and usually will send you on through. The agents at the smaller airports might pay more attention to an unusual camera. I would ship my film ahead of time to my destination to avoid film problems at the airport.
    Mike Lewis
    mikelewisimages.com

A buddy of mine travels a lot for business and usually brings along his 4x5. This past time on his way back he was having a hand inspection of a box of his exposed 4x5 film and they opened it up to the light fogging most of his sheets.

I would just send everything through the scanner. I’ve traveled enough domestically and internationally to know that 4 or 5 scans (in carry on scanners, never put film in checked baggage) will not harm the film whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1

Quote Originally Posted by biedron View Post
    Just to add to the chorus: I usually fly a couple of times a year with a (metal) LF camera, lenses, meter and film in my carry-on items, and have never once had anyone in TSA say anything about it.

Andrew

I was taken aside after they scanned my Wista 4x5 in a carry-on backpack at the Kona, HI airport. They asked for instructions as to how to unpack the backpack, but then asked me to unfold the camera. Very polite, no real issues.

M.A. Wikstrom

Big airports, usually not a problem. Small rinkydink airports they've had me take everything out of the bag and lay it in the plastic tray like a laptop. I'll see if they do it again a few days from now.

What would happen if you were traveling with a camera that you sometimes used for wet plate collodion which might have silver nitrate stains on the back? Do you think TSA would stop you when inspecting your gear? Only reason I ask is because I recently heard on a Joe Rogan Podcast that a guest (can't remember who at the moment) was stopped at the airport and questioned because whatever he had with him tested positive for nitrates. I have no clue if silver nitrate stains would throw up any flags but it would be nice to know just to avoid any hassle.

My flight to Austin went smoothly. The carry-on bag with the tripod went through without comment. TSA flagged the backpack with the Canham, film holders, etc. The agent swabbed the padded Canham case, unzipped the top, merely looked at the folded camera from the top, and sent me on my way, maybe 5 minutes.

Drew Wiley

By now, you've probably heard that TSA is slowly going to phase-in 3d scanners for carry-ons. So this whole topic will need to be revised at some point.

I'm on the Won't Fly List.

I want to keep my memories of the 60's and 70's when flying was fun.

Maybe a Gulfstream G650 if I get to take a paddle.

I had to go to Germany on a business/holiday trip with my wife. Had a very complete MF system, a similar 35mm system, a prototype, non functioning Linhof 612 and a Linhof Kardan 810 Master TL that had to go back to the factory in Munich for service.

Absolutely no problem at EWR but I did register the equipment with Customs so I would not have any unexpected surprises with Customs upon returning since all of the cameras and lenses were German.

As the Linhof cameras were going back to Linhof either, for the 612, to return it or for repair for the 810. As we were the Linhof importer I was carrying the proper paperwork to show to the inspectors at the airport in Frankfurt that all German tariffs and taxes had been properly been paid.
    After reclaiming our luggage we got into the nothing to declare line and that is where the fun began. My wife went through with no problem and exited the restricted area. I was directly behind her with the suitcases and a cardboard box with the Linhof TL inside.
    I was pulled out of line and taken to a separate room where they proceeded to open and examin everything. Even though I had the proper paperwork to carry the 810 back into Germany for repair and all of the paperwork needed to prove that it had been properly exported to us by Linhof and that it would be sent back to us after repair and would not stay in Germany the inspectors still wanted me to pay duty and value added tax.
    In the meantime my wife could not find me and could not re-enter the Customs area and the people on duty at the exit would not help her. It took well over an hour of Q&A and phone calls to the factory before they finally let me out.
    Then I had to answer to a very upset wife!

But no problems getting it through the airport in the USA.