Thread: Anniversary Speed Graphic focal shutter need source for material

altb

Anniversary Speed Graphic focal shutter need source for material

Excuse me if this has been discussed before...I looked but didn't see anything.

I found an Anniversary Speed Graphic at a camera store. It was in nice shape generally, and they were upfront with the information that it had "issues" with the shutter curtain, ,but I figured I could use it without the shutter until I fixed it. I needed a tough camera to take out to the beach.
    The mechanism actually works quite well, but the shutter curtain material itself was torn down the middle and the metal edging on D was bent. Turns out someone at sometime used a too long screw for the viewfinder at the top of the camera, and when it got to the fast shutter speeds the increased bulk of the fabric butted up against the screw. Thus the damage.
    Tried taping it, tried patching and sewing it but to no avail. As soon as I wound it up the D setting would jam and it broke again. I guess my repairs were part of the problem, maybe they made it too thick. The fabric is pretty stressed and I'm thinking it's actually a bit brittle though it is completely light proof still.

First question: is it worth it to continue to try to patch it? If so how could I do it without adding thickness?
    Second question: if the answer to the first question is NO, where can I get new shutter curtain material?

Thanks,
    Newbie with this LF stuff

Re: Anniversary Speed Graphic focal shutter need source for material

Me again!

The Graflex shutter is one of the best FP shutters and is very suitable for repairs. The thickness of the rolled-up curtain gets critical when age effects the flexibility of the curtain material - even without patching repairs! I have done repairs using bought-in materials - but replacing whole sections between metal frames/reels. I have also done a bit of overlapping and glueing at places where dismantling of the shutter mechanics would have necessary. There used to be a seller with dismantled (and checked ) parts on ebay, but I think he has run out of donor cameras now.

altb

Thanks Steven. I looked at new material on a website but it's 90 USD which is about what I paid for the whole camera!
    I'd really like to use the shutter if I can fix it. Until the D setting it clicks on perfectly.
    So... Replacing a whole section? I thought I could perhaps do this as a horizontal seam may work better but that still brings up buying new material.
    Had an idea. Could I just cut off the D section and attach a shortened shutter? I'd lose the highest setting but I could live with that for now. Question is...would it affect the tensioning or something?
    Will check eBay. Or maybe someone on here might have a spare shutter they are willing to sell
    Thanks again. You are so helpful with all my questions

Yes, the replacement curtain material is incredibly expensive now. I think the main reason is that it is made to deal with 35mm camera shutters which requires a thinness and quality which is not essential for LF shutters. Others may have an idea about other sources.

Tension in these aged shutters become less over time and the "advertised" speeds are no longer available! But the shortened total length may effect the various stop positions.

Graflex.org is a fun site, but I don't know how good they are with DIY with shutters.
    Last edited by Steven Tribe; 15-Dec-2017 at 13:58.

altb

I've been reading graflex.org but without much result. I understand what you mean about stop positions...okay back to the drawing board!
    Been experimenting with making my own "rubberized" shutter cloth. Mainly fine broadcloth with white glue and black acrylic. Just doing a test piece, not sure how that will work.

oh well, until I find a resource I will be happy with using the lens shutter. I was hoping to use my barrel lenses.