Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Removing the front element from a 19-inch Apochromat Artar in barrel

Removing the front element from a 19-inch Apochromat Artar in barrel

I have one, and the rear element just unscrews, but the front will not. Should it? Or is there a set screw or something that I'm missing? It's probably just stuck, but doesn't look dented or damaged in any way.

Re: Removing the front element from a 19-inch Apochromat Artar in barrel

Hmmm... No responses. I'd really like to put this in a shutter some day, and might know a machinist (or two!) who can do it, so I'm really curious about how to get it apart. I'd be grateful if someone who has one can tell me if it should come apart easily.

Here's a photo. I think it should separate where I've placed the black arrow. Am I right?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	artar.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	188.7 KB 
ID:	172931

I won't try too hard to get it apart, but if I know for certain where to grip it, I can give it a bit of effort. The diameter of the threads on the rear element seem a perfect match for an Ilex #4 shutter.

No, the front cell separates at the front edge of the barrel. While this is not a 19" Artar. the construction is much the same for Goerz lenses of this vintage. On the 19" there s a ring that is threaded on on the very front of the front lens cell. This ring is often stuck on good. It is where the 90 degree prism would have been attached.

See images:

Name:	APO artar cells_edge.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	172932

Name:	APO artar barrel & cells.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	172933

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kinzer View Post
    Hmmm...
    Here's a photo. I think it should separate where I've placed the black arrow. Am I right?

Name:	artar.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	188.7 KB 
ID:	172931

I won't try too hard to get it apart, but if I know for certain where to grip it, I can give it a bit of effort. The diameter of the threads on the rear element seem a perfect match for an Ilex #4 shutter.

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

Alternatively, and esp. with a focal length that long, it becomes quite easy to just front-mount it into a shutter, thereby not screwing up collimination etc.. I mounted mine onto an Alphax #4 a while back, just getting a simple adapter made by a local fitter and turner. Also saved me engraving another aperture. Another bonus: You save a bit of bellows. You do lose a litte bit of max. IC, thats it.
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."

I'd really like to put this in a shutter some day, and might know a machinist (or two!) who can do it, so I'm really curious about how to get it apart. I'd be grateful if someone who has one can tell me if it should come apart easily.
    I don't believe it will just screw in to a #4 and if it did, the spacings would probably not be correct. Why don't you let whomever is going to mount it to the #4 to take it appart? My 2ç's worth. L

That front has 2 threads. The front extension that sticks out past the glass will come off, and also the barrel with the glass unscrews right at the barrel extension up front. Don't be afraid of it. Get two pieces of old rubber inner tube for grips and set it on the floor on top of one of them. Put the other grip on top and use your foot to apply torque. The front shade area may come off first. That's OK. Then repeat with the main part.

Thanks. I'll try that. I've been trying to get the front component off of my 14" for decades. The back component is easy, and the front ring comes off fine, then. . . . nothing.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Quote Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post
    Thanks. I'll try that. I've been trying to get the front component off of my 14" for decades. The back component is easy, and the front ring comes off fine, then. . . . nothing.
    That's exactly my problem! I cannot try the foot-lever idea because I have pretty severe back issues (I walk with two canes if I need to travel more than a few dozen yards). But I've gotten other lenses apart by doing something similar with a couple of tools made out of plywood. They look like this, but are much more robust. I just cut them out of scrap wood with a bandsaw and a hole saw of a slightly larger size than the lens diameter. I'll put some rubber in there to get more friction.

The main thing I needed to know is just where to grip the lens. So thanks very much!

That's exactly my problem! I cannot try the foot-lever idea because I have pretty severe back issues (I walk with two canes if I need to travel more than a few dozen yards). But I've gotten other lenses apart by doing something similar with a couple of tools made out of plywood. They look like this, but are much more robust. I just cut them out of scrap wood with a bandsaw and a hole saw of a slightly larger size than the lens diameter. I'll put some rubber in there to get more friction.

The main thing I needed to know is just where to grip the lens. So thanks very much!
    You've probably got the back problems from lugging around brass Artars. They weigh a ton. ;~'))

It is amazingly dense.