Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Source of hot water

Re: Source of hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    When I lived in England my place had a hot water heater and baseboard that accepting Shillings for a timed heat. Talk about penny pinching! Oh, and the home phone was a pay phone. I do not miss those days.
    Man, "shillings and pay-phones"?.....now you're showing your age (and mine, since I remember them too) :-)

Having suffered from reticulation many years ago, i'm very wary of wide temperature changes.

Maybe the above-sink style water heater will be sufficient to give a small heat rise to the cold supply while it flows?

Quote Originally Posted by mpirie View Post
    Man, "shillings and pay-phones"?.....now you're showing your age (and mine, since I remember them too) :-)
    1965 to 1970, Oxford. I loved the life as a young man. Didn't you, too? Oh, and having down feather blankets made the dating scene as good as gold

Conversation

Her, "Darling, there feels like a cold round steel tube be my feet under the blanket!"
    Me, "Stand development. Let us rock the bed gently."

Thanks guys.

I was thinking of a continuous flow of tempered water for film washing, for example from an electric shower unit.

I have a mixing valve that will control the temperature, but it needs a hot as well as cold supply.
    In that case, what I would do is get a small tank water heater (3-5 gallon) AND a tankless unit, run in tandem with the tank heater nearest the mixing valve. The small tank heater provides instantaneous heat, while the tankless unit provides perpetual heat. The tank heater serves double-duty as a mixing buffer for the less regulated (moderated) cold/hot water exiting the tankless heater.

Sounds like a good idea!

What does everyone else use? Do you have a domestic hot water supply to the darkroom as well as cold?

I wonder if i'm over-thinking this ;-)

Yes, I simply use my gas 40 gal water heater and cold water to a Hass Mixer. It will control well at a trickle. I hook it up with Pex. DIY

Draining was my problem.

Sounds like a good idea!

What does everyone else use? Do you have a domestic hot water supply to the darkroom as well as cold?

I wonder if i'm over-thinking this ;-)
    Most people on this side of "the pond" have hot water in the house -- even those "off the grid". In Scotland, do they still burn peat instead? That's what my grandfather told me he did.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Most people on this side of "the pond" have hot water in the house -- even those "off the grid". In Scotland, do they still burn peat instead? That's what my grandfather told me he did.
    Had I an endless resource of peat for free energy... you'd better darn-well believe I'd burn it.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Draining was my problem.
    That's my problem, too. My basement is below the drain level. I have to plumb the darkroom with a pump to move the drainage about three foot high. Still thinking of it.

...oh and the room heat issue. So costly.

I was in a condo on a slab. I took my hot and cold off the bathroom sink just above the shutoffs. Pex to next room. The drains for 3 darkroom sinks connected in series went through the same wall and a 90 dumped it in the bathtub drain. Not ideal but I was careful with chems and as I had free water, I ran a lot through it all. Sold condo, disconnected and patched all holes. Goodby Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    That's my problem, too. My basement is below the drain level. I have to plumb the darkroom with a pump to move the drainage about three foot high. Still thinking of it.

...oh and the room heat issue. So costly.

Randy, that's not the same as having to pump the drain 3' up to the sewer.