Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Source of hot water

Re: Source of hot water

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Most people on this side of "the pond" have hot water in the house -- even those "off the grid". In Scotland, do they still burn peat instead? That's what my grandfather told me he did.
    Wow....you have hot water in the house? Man, what will they think of next?......you'll be telling me that you can flick a switch and magically have light ?

We have endless supplies of peat, and yes it's still burned in homes.....it has a lovely smell. We also use it for making some VERY nice whisky

I guess i could tap into the house hot water......that's how i got cold water into the darkroom too.

Quote Originally Posted by mpirie View Post
    We have endless supplies of peat, and yes it's still burned in homes.....it has a lovely smell. We also use it for making some VERY nice whisky
    Sure, rub it into our face! Nice whisky is an understatement. Gosh, I was so sympathetic until that! Ya know what we pay for your natural resource?

Working for a US company and travelling there regularly.....i know exactly what you pay for our whisky.....and naturally i make up for that when i'm at home

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Randy, that's not the same as having to pump the drain 3' up to the sewer.
    I had a Skokie house with a basement under the water table. The toilet down there had a pump to get s*** out to my sewer line, which then had a one-way ejection valve in the front yard to get everything into the street sewer and keep it there. My first house, first wife, first flood. Almost as exciting as the possum in the house chasing cats. We had fun there.

With the right amount of whiskey, you don't worry about hot water in the darkroom -- nor reticulation. But at that point, you can't find the darkroom, anyway.

Yet another photographic problem solved!

Quote Originally Posted by mpirie View Post
    I was thinking of a continuous flow of tempered water for film washing...
    Just in case you didn't know, some of us do not use running water for film washing - we just soak the film and every 5 minutes or so, dump it and refill with fresh water, repeating for about 20 minutes or so. That is how I have been washing film for may years - so - no need for temperature controlled running water at your film processing station as long as you have access to it somewhere in the facility.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Good point Randy. I guess i'm trying to setup the home darkroom to be like the professional darkrooms i've used in the past.

Mike

Here ya go... pick one? easy install and ready to use anytime you need a small amount of hot water.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing...e/N-5yc1vZbqo7

Film and Darkroom User

I have the same problem here in Somerset UK. I have solved my film processing problems using a cheap s/s Bain Marie tray with a Sous Vide to maintain a water bath for film processing. The chemical containers and film processing tank sit in the water. The main issue is as o/p says is washing film. Currently I am resorting to long washing times after using hypo-clear. However in the future when our new utility room is completed I will simply take the film in there as it will have both hot and cold water. I don't know of any water heaters that will provide 20C continuous water?

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Just in case you didn't know, some of us do not use running water for film washing - we just soak the film and every 5 minutes or so, dump it and refill with fresh water, repeating for about 20 minutes or so. That is how I have been washing film for may years - so - no need for temperature controlled running water at your film processing station as long as you have access to it somewhere in the facility.
    That is the point, exactly. Use the Ilford film washing procedure, and all you need is a bucket full of water at the desired temperature. No running water needed. And for FB paper it is not a problem, as the temperature does not really matter unless it is well below 10C.

I was facing the same problem in my makeshift darkroom, I installed a simple under-the-sink 5 liter storage type water heater that works within normal power specs and is plug and play in a normal wall power outlet. I am sure you can get something comparable in Scotland. In my experience, those tankless on-demand heaters that have a reasonable flow of warm water are not plug and play as they have special power requirements requiring installation by a trained eletrician etc pp and it was just not worth the fuss for me. At least that is the situation here in Germany.