Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help With Cokin Filters...Or Filters In General

Help With Cokin Filters...Or Filters In General

Hi all,
    I leave in 6 weeks for my honeymoon. I would like to find a set of basic filters for my Chamonix 045N-2 4x5 camera. I think I am toting it and my Leica M2.
    I was considering a Cokin Z-Pro holder with some decent glass/whatever.

Bonus is if any of this setup can be used for my Leica M2 or Hassie 500C/M. (I own a few filters for my 500C/M lenses).

Owned Lenses:
    1. Schneider Symmar-S 210mm -- 77mm accessory size?
    2. Nikon Nikkor SW 90mm -- 67mm accessory size?
    3. Hasselblad 80mm CF (or maybe it's Zeiss Planar T*?)
    4. Hasselblad 150mm CF
    5. Leica Summicron Dual Range 50mm

Questions I have:
    1. Which holder would I need? I seem some as 77mm and some at 100mm? Is the Z-Pro only one size?
    2. Do I then use adapter rings to attach the above holder to my various lenses?
    3. I guess any rectangle filter will work? As long as it is 100mm wide? Or whatever fits the holder.
    4. Any resources you recommend for buying a few filters? New and/or used. I was gonna try on APUG, but I have to be a paying member or something.
    5. Which filters do you recommend. Mostly close ups or landscapes, occasionally portraits (but probably don't need filters for this)
    6. To the above, I am thinking a more basic set up. Perhaps....minimum of orange full, orange grad??, maybe a yellow?, a little ND stop, big ND stop, grad ND, a polarizer...??? Uh, so may options.
    7. Brands you recommend to search for?
    8. Brands to stay away from?

Thanks for your help/assistance!

Re: Help With Cokin Filters...Or Filters In General

Cokin makes four sizes: A, P, Z, and another larger size. I use the P system, and my lenses are all 77mm. The larger sizes will work on super-wide lenses, or larger filter thread sizes -- but also cost much more. The filters are rectangular but rotate. You need a simple adapter -- more than one if you have more than one filter size. You can get filter holders that hold from one to three filters. The ones that hold more are likely to cause vignetting on wide lenses, like a 90mm.

What filters you get is a personal choice -- there are TONS of them. The filters are easier to scratch than glass, so protect them very well.

Thanks for the information, that is very helpful.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

When I moved into LF from the Pentax 67II, I switched from the Cokin P system to the Z-Pro which would accommodate the larger lens. With the holder I choose the largest adapter ring then available (82mm) and step-up rings from the smallest lens (49mm) to the next smallest ...up to finally 82mm. That way I can travel with all the step-up rings already connected to the holder and choose according to the lens I decide to use. That was nothing is forgotten or misplaced and ready to use. I keep the holder with rings mounted in a Lee case which I found used for $5 or so. For filters I use Cokin resin filters for B&W, CP and IR (they are the best deal out there) and Lee or HiTech resins for ND/Grads. I further switched to Schneider and Formatt glass CP, UV, and ND/Grad. All fit in the Z-Pro holder and a 95mm adaptor is now available for the 300mm Nikkor f5.6 and 400mm Pentax 67.

Thomas

Thanks for the information Thomas. Very helpful to know your setup/system.

Any additional comments on my above questions? You all use eBay? Seems like Cokin and Lee/HiTech are good. Schneider and Formatt glass? Resin vs glass? Resin I assume is thick plastic?
    CP? Color Positive? IR? Infrared?

I've never seen glass filters for the Cokin system, but I don't doubt that someone makes(d) some. The problem with glass would be cost, weight, and breakage, but resin/plastic is much easier to scratch.

Wherever you buy, you can make single purchases or sets which are a much better deal. But with sets you need to do more shopping around because there are a ton of kits to compare and figure out which is best for you. Many kits come with nice pouches for easy carrying/protection.

Ok, thanks again for the info. Yes, I am fine with resin. I am also fine with middle of the pack quality. Don't need the best made ever nor the walmart line. I don't mind investing a little, but with SO many options all this advice is helpful.

Anyone have recommendations on the filters you wouldn't leave home without? Orange, Yellow, NDs? Maybe a polarizer? Is a polarizer even a think for rectangle filters like this? Don't you have to rotate two pieces independent of each other to get the affect needed?
    As you can see, I am not extremely versed on filters in general.

Thanks.

All of my main filters are round, multi-coated glass -- because the are used/abused the most. The main problem for me with the Cokin system is the holder is likely to cause vignetting with wide lenses -- which I use a lot. That is much less of an issue with screw-in filters.

Understood. I am set on the system though...well, crap, I think I am. I can't keep changing up since their are so many pros/cons to every system. I have to make a decision and just lock in especially since I need (want) to buy some in the next 4-6 weeks.
    That said, I appreciate your input on the whole matter, so thanks a lot!

The main reason to go with a square/rectangle system is the versatility. Both my LF lenses are different sizes. And if I ever pick up a 150mm lens it too will probably be different. I really don't want to have 12 sets of filters if I don't have too.

At the end of the day I just want the easiest/most reliable/realistic/practical/basic filter set up for my 4x5 camera system. The problem is about 12000 people designed their own thing in 4000 different options/colors/material/etc. No wonder the camera store in town that closed down had an entire filing cabinet or two full of filters.