Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Drum Scans - What to order?

Drum Scans - What to order?

Paul hit the nail on the head. If you are looking for a file that has everything you can get out of the film, then go with the 16 bit color depth. This will give you the most to work with. If you are looking for a file where the scanner operator (or worse, the scanner software) makes the decisions for you, then an 8 bit scan will be fine.

I've been scanning 4x5 velvia on a new Imacon 646. The resolution is eye-popping (as expected). But what is amazing is the tonal range--it is smooth and long--like, I don't know...you fill in the blank____. It is definitely superior to an 8 bit drum scan I had done before I purchased the Imacon. BTW, the 50 cents (or there 'bouts) per MB pricing strategy that commercial printers use for drum scans is obsolete. That strategy is from a time when it took a long time to produce a 100MB scan. I can do one on my scanner in 2 minutes of scanner/computer time. The cost is in the equipment and the set-up (cleanliness) and the same adjustments you would make for a 50 mb file or a 250 mb file. Side note: I was able to buy the Imacon because I told my wife I would recover some of the cost by doing scans for friends and I told the kids they were going to have to pay for half their college education. So I guess you could say it was financed with student loans.....hi ho.

Re: Drum Scans - What to order?

...I can scan that for you at 16bit.....Ill do a 200mb.....scan(30x20)...For around....80$.....I have Color Calb.Monitor..(Pre-Press)...I Can Scan Trans,Orig,Printed Orig....No Moire...My name is Keith....You Can E-Mail...Me At mr.portis06@Yahoo.comor Call My Cell-1(708)825-4183.......Leave Your Name.....Ill do the one at 5x5 for free....just to show you i can Scan your stuff better than anyone else....Ive worked on this scanner since 1997...and a hell before that....i know color....I work on linotype/hell 9600.....Still the best in the world.....I have scanned prints for T.Kinkade...And done old Comic Books....So yes ....i will take care of your scan and trans....

Now I see where I went wrong when I offered to do 400 MB scans on a 949 (16 bit 4x5 2040 ppi) for my friends for $5, and nobody took me up on the offer. How could they possibly be any good for $5?

Best,
    Helen
    Last edited by Helen Bach; 31-Oct-2006 at 15:51.

make the same offer here and you'll probably get a lot of takers...