Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Boring Photographs

Re: Boring Photographs

Boring posts are those that claim everything is relative or in the eye of the beholder which only serve to neuter conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Boring posts are those that claim everything is relative or in the eye of the beholder which only serve to neuter conversation.
    But it isn't a case of neutering the conversation. I will be intentionally vague, and I think you will see why: I was looking at a recent post in one of our threads, and saw an image that I think fits the definition of boring very well: it was of a subject done a thousand times, I didn't see that it brought anything new to the "conversation" in that the lighting, tones, etc. were absolutely ordinary, and thought to myself "what a perfect example for our 'boring photographs' thread." But then I noticed another post praising the image I had just dismissed. So it really is in the eye of the beholder.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewin View Post
    But then I noticed another post praising the image I had just dismissed. So it really is in the eye of the beholder.
    Sometimes the beholder is mistaken. The image may not have been praiseworthy.
    Last edited by faberryman; 13-Dec-2017 at 18:33.

[...] But then I noticed another post praising the image I had just dismissed. So it really is in the eye of the beholder.
    My sympathy to both parties.

multiplex

not everyone is in the same place, so what one person thinks
    isn't boring , another person thinks is boring ..
    someone who just learned the sheeimphloog and hinge mechanisms or hyperfocal photography
    or what a metaphor might be might make and post or display photoraphs of their newfound interests
    while someone who has been doing photograph or lf photography for a long time
    might display their newfound interests, PTPD portraits of 18yearsolds wearing stilletto heals ..
    personally id rather see a metaphor or a visual pun i rarely thing they are boring
    and if they are good, it leaves some people scratching their heads and others ROTFLTAO

BTW john
    this thread is really boring.

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post

BTW john
    this thread is really boring.
    Sorry 'bout that!
    OTOH, if a boring picture can be worth a thousand words, cannot a thousand words be boring as well? Hilaire Belloc seems to think so...or maybe he can make boring words rotflmao funny
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

But it isn't a case of neutering the conversation. I will be intentionally vague, and I think you will see why: I was looking at a recent post in one of our threads, and saw an image that I think fits the definition of boring very well: it was of a subject done a thousand times, I didn't see that it brought anything new to the "conversation" in that the lighting, tones, etc. were absolutely ordinary, and thought to myself "what a perfect example for our 'boring photographs' thread." But then I noticed another post praising the image I had just dismissed. So it really is in the eye of the beholder.
    There's a bit of a mutual admiration society around here that can explain some of that. That said, we all have the freedom to pass quickly by the images we find boring.

And, as someone else has implied, perhaps the mundane images make the special ones that much more so!

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Sorry 'bout that!
    OTOH, if a boring picture can be worth a thousand words, cannot a thousand words be boring as well? Hilaire Belloc seems to think so...or maybe he can make boring words rotflmao funny
    LOL what a bore

Boring though some photographs may be, they are nothing when compared to boring photographers.

What Makes a Boring Photograph?
    A photograph (or an image on my ground glass) which not only invites/compels my exploration within that image - but which also leaves me with a sense that this exploration would never be complete…would instead be forever evolving, and inviting/compelling me to explore further - is a photograph/image which I would not find boring.

All other photographs/images I find boring.