Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: ULF holders

  1. #11

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    95

    Re: ULF holders

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Whitaker View Post
    Vantablack (https://www.surreynanosystems.com/vantablack). Looks like cost is but only one of the issues. Not available to "private individuals".
    There's an option out there for anybody that is not Anish Kapoor.

    https://www.wmagazine.com/story/anis...blackest-black

  2. #12
    Randy Moe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    8,520

    Re: ULF holders

    Hilarious!

    Anish is a bit of snob. However, he recently relented and sanctioned the populous name 'The Bean' for his wonderful 'Cloud Gate'.

    https://chicago.suntimes.com/chicago...-the-bean-too/

    Quote Originally Posted by radii View Post
    There's an option out there for anybody that is not Anish Kapoor.

    https://www.wmagazine.com/story/anis...blackest-black

  3. #13

    Re: ULF holders

    Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Hey...isn't there some product which has become available recently - a super absorptive black paint and/or cloth, or flocking material...which also happens to be (unfortunately) very expensive?

    As Steve points out, the amount of film holder opening actually exposed is very small...but not always "negligible." But as the actual exposed area is so small, would this not represent a very cost-effective opportunity to make use of this new "ultra black" product? Richard?
    Yes, the area is typically small, but it kicked my ass until I got a $1.25 bottle of flat black hobby paint and a small brush and went to work. I even painted the insides of the baffles. Then I put a small piece of tape over the flap seams on both sides. Good to go.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Westport Island, Maine
    Posts
    1,172

    Re: ULF holders

    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    A love of flare?

    No, and apologies for the smart aleck comment. I couldn't resist.
    Well, from my conversations with Richard, you certainly identified the problem, smart aleck or no.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    5,175

    Re: ULF holders

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Barlow View Post
    Well, from my conversations with Richard, you certainly identified the problem, smart aleck or no.
    Yes, flare is the problem.

    But the reason film holders were sold clear coated is because many users of ULF cameras prefer the beauty of wood grain to a flat black color, and this preference goes back to the very early days of cameras and film holders. If choice were only about practicality the market for ULF cameras and holders would be much smaller than it is.

    Most people solve the problem of flare like Michael, they coat all of the internal parts of the holder with a flat black paint. If you find it necessary to paint the outside of the film holder to avoid flare, my experience is that you probably have some type of fit issue that prevents the holder from seating firmly in the back.

    Sandy
    http://www.sandykingphotography.com/
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at Yahoo.
    https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...nTransfer/info

  6. #16

    Re: ULF holders

    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Yes, flare is the problem.

    But the reason film holders were sold clear coated is because many users of ULF cameras prefer the beauty of wood grain to a flat black color, and this preference goes back to the very early days of cameras and film holders. If choice were only about practicality the market for ULF cameras and holders would be much smaller than it is.

    Most people solve the problem of flare like Michael, they coat all of the internal parts of the holder with a flat black paint. If you find it necessary to paint the outside of the film holder to avoid flare, my experience is that you probably have some type of fit issue that prevents the holder from seating firmly in the back.

    Sandy
    To your point Sandy, I send a slew of my 8x20 holders and my camera back to Richard Ritter to properly align them all to fit correctly in the camera. Finally I had to admit that ignoring this issue would not make the problem to go away. Richard did a fabulous job as always.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Newbury, Vermont
    Posts
    472

    Re: ULF holders

    Beauty over practicality? Vanity over utility? For shoes maybe...but not film holders! Jeeesh!

    But yes about fit. Even when considering whatever "wiggle-room" is needed to compensate for environmental changes, a correctly fitting holder can (almost) be painted white (but maybe not gloss-white!).

    But in the real world we do occasionally need a bit of good, FLAT, black paint!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •