Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ULF holders

Re: ULF holders

Quote Originally Posted by Will Whitaker View Post
    Vantablack (https://www.surreynanosystems.com/vantablack). Looks like cost is but only one of the issues. Not available to "private individuals".
    There's an option out there for anybody that is not Anish Kapoor.

https://www.wmagazine.com/story/anis...blackest-black

Hilarious!

Anish is a bit of snob. However, he recently relented and sanctioned the populous name 'The Bean' for his wonderful 'Cloud Gate'.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/chicago...-the-bean-too/

Quote Originally Posted by radii View Post
    There's an option out there for anybody that is not Anish Kapoor.

https://www.wmagazine.com/story/anis...blackest-black

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Hey...isn't there some product which has become available recently - a super absorptive black paint and/or cloth, or flocking material...which also happens to be (unfortunately) very expensive?

As Steve points out, the amount of film holder opening actually exposed is very small...but not always "negligible." But as the actual exposed area is so small, would this not represent a very cost-effective opportunity to make use of this new "ultra black" product? Richard?
    Yes, the area is typically small, but it kicked my ass until I got a $1.25 bottle of flat black hobby paint and a small brush and went to work. I even painted the insides of the baffles. Then I put a small piece of tape over the flap seams on both sides. Good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    A love of flare?

No, and apologies for the smart aleck comment. I couldn't resist.
    Well, from my conversations with Richard, you certainly identified the problem, smart aleck or no.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Barlow View Post
    Well, from my conversations with Richard, you certainly identified the problem, smart aleck or no.
    Yes, flare is the problem.

But the reason film holders were sold clear coated is because many users of ULF cameras prefer the beauty of wood grain to a flat black color, and this preference goes back to the very early days of cameras and film holders. If choice were only about practicality the market for ULF cameras and holders would be much smaller than it is.

Most people solve the problem of flare like Michael, they coat all of the internal parts of the holder with a flat black paint. If you find it necessary to paint the outside of the film holder to avoid flare, my experience is that you probably have some type of fit issue that prevents the holder from seating firmly in the back.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Yes, flare is the problem.

But the reason film holders were sold clear coated is because many users of ULF cameras prefer the beauty of wood grain to a flat black color, and this preference goes back to the very early days of cameras and film holders. If choice were only about practicality the market for ULF cameras and holders would be much smaller than it is.

Most people solve the problem of flare like Michael, they coat all of the internal parts of the holder with a flat black paint. If you find it necessary to paint the outside of the film holder to avoid flare, my experience is that you probably have some type of fit issue that prevents the holder from seating firmly in the back.

Sandy
    To your point Sandy, I send a slew of my 8x20 holders and my camera back to Richard Ritter to properly align them all to fit correctly in the camera. Finally I had to admit that ignoring this issue would not make the problem to go away. Richard did a fabulous job as always.

Beauty over practicality? Vanity over utility? For shoes maybe...but not film holders! Jeeesh!

But yes about fit. Even when considering whatever "wiggle-room" is needed to compensate for environmental changes, a correctly fitting holder can (almost) be painted white (but maybe not gloss-white!).

But in the real world we do occasionally need a bit of good, FLAT, black paint!