Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where does the little stuff live?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Eric Woodbury

Where does the little stuff live?

When I travel, camp, and photograph, I always have boxes of stuff that need to go that have no place. I'm using food storage containers made by Sistema to contain little things. I have one with camera tools (lens wrench, little screw drivers, allen wrenches, etc.), one with spare glasses, lupe, stuff, and one with spare ground glasses, big center filters, polarizers, et al. The containers are then cast adrift about the van without a home.

Where do you carry all this stuff? I seldom use it but would be lost without it when needed.

Thanks,
    --ejw--
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

Re: Where does the little stuff live?

Maybe a small tackle box? Cigar box? Crown Royal ditty bag? Empty prescription pill bottles? An empty pipe Tobacco tin? Igloo Lil' Playmate cooler? .30 or .50 or Fat .50 ammo can? Plano plastic wannabee ammo can? Tool box? You may also find an old Samsonite "Train" or cosmetics//Make up bag at a thrift store.
    They look something like this
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	612d4e581eb6fb68725a55f553d1d4c1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	172562
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Dave Karp

When I travel by car, I throw stuff like that into an insulated lunch box. I leave that box in the car. I like the lunch boxes because they don't look like they are filled with anything valuable. If I travel by plane, I have a pared down kit that fits in the front pouch of my Cabela's carry bag. It fits in a Rubbermaid container that slides into the front pouch of my the bag.

Milk Crates!
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

At home I have a junk drawer. For my mobile photo "junk" I have a junk bag. It's just an old over-the-shoulder cloth camera bag with a couple zipper pockets and one large compartment. All my misc. junk goes in there; everything from cigar trimmer to spare darkslides to spare gel filters to tent repair kit to extra cable releases to lenses I don't carry in my normal kit. I know where to find things... generally; sometimes I have to spend a few minutes rummaging to get what I want, but at least everything is centrally located.

Best,

Doremus

A lot of my small items go into one or two clear resealable bags that live in whatever bag I am using. Keeps the dust and debris off, and helps isolate logically similar items. Some things with sharp ends need extra protection.

Some odds and ends need to move bags from day to day, while others are equipment specific and stay put.

A couple of Eagle Creek bags like these. I use the small ones for most little stuff - the mid sized ones are big enough to hold a Technika.

https://www.ebags.com/product/eagle-...uctid=10296804

Soon this will be full of stuff...

It already moved a lot of stuff, but I am organizing...

IMG-0518 by moe.randy, on Flickr

In my camera bags of course.

Well to be honest, my camera bags were not originally camera bags. I use a Klein cordura wheeled tool bag for a main camera bag. It's got pouches in it to hold tools, I mean some photography odds and ends. The rest I zip lock bag and put in the front zippered part. https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-5...lling+tool+bag

I also use a cheap folding vinyl cooler for any extras like my 8x10 film holders and such. I can set the filled cooler on top of the Klein bag for wheeling around.

You might not like my wheeled bag but there are other smaller cordura tool bags out there. Cheap vinyl coolers are very light weight.

Alan, how big is the pouch? Or what camera fits in there?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    In my camera bags of course.

Well to be honest, my camera bags were not originally camera bags. I use a Klein cordura wheeled tool bag for a main camera bag. It's got pouches in it to hold tools, I mean some photography odds and ends. The rest I zip lock bag and put in the front zippered part. https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-5...lling+tool+bag

I also use a cheap folding vinyl cooler for any extras like my 8x10 film holders and such. I can set the filled cooler on top of the Klein bag for wheeling around.

You might not like my wheeled bag but there are other smaller cordura tool bags out there. Cheap vinyl coolers are very light weight.