Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Changes in Yosemite

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Big Changes in Yosemite

From a trip I made a couple of months back, big changes are in the works for Yosemite. For starters the Camp 4 parking area has been repaved with asphalt and the rutted front area filled in with a rock surface eliminating all the ruts that have been there for years. Yosemite Village food court is closed for remodeling with a temporary food court set-up in the conference center. It doesn't have the selection of the former and the prices are higher (for example the bowl of Chile was $6.95 IIRC) but at least you can get your morning coffee. A new and much larger curb along Northside Drive is being installed. I exited the park the day before they were to pave the Camp 4 parking area so it, and probably the Northside Drive curb are completed.

Thomas

Re: Big Changes in Yosemite

Enjoy what they offer while you can. The current proposal is to raise the DAILY admission fee from $20 to $70. That should solve all the problems you have mentioned -- because you won't be able to afford to go there!

They're doing that to dramatically reduce the visitor population.

Then they'll declare the parks no longer of interest.

That will justify selling large pieces of them to developers.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

A better -- and cheaper -- way to protect our National Parks would be to simply build a wall around each of them. That would have the added benefit of protecting the wildlife inside of them -- WIN-WIN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    From a trip I made a couple of months back, big changes are in the works for Yosemite. For starters the Camp 4 parking area has been repaved with asphalt and the rutted front area filled in with a rock surface eliminating all the ruts that have been there for years. Yosemite Village food court is closed for remodeling with a temporary food court set-up in the conference center. It doesn't have the selection of the former and the prices are higher (for example the bowl of Chile was $6.95 IIRC) but at least you can get your morning coffee. A new and much larger curb along Northside Drive is being installed. I exited the park the day before they were to pave the Camp 4 parking area so it, and probably the Northside Drive curb are completed.

Thomas
    What conference center?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

The rooms back of the Food Court (same side) before you get to the Mountain House. I saw them used in the past as meeting rooms reserved for different groups so assumed it was a "conference Center."

Just a reminder:

The National Park Service is proposing an entrance fee hike for 17 parks beginning in 2018 and are inviting public comments on their website until 22 December: https://parkplanning.nps.gov/documen...cumentID=83652 The Annual and Senior passes are not affected holders of the Senior Pass will still get 50% off campgrounds. However camping fees may also rise.

Thomas

How much does the NPS plan to charge to access the Golden Gate National Recreation Area?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Enjoy what they offer while you can. The current proposal is to raise the DAILY admission fee from $20 to $70. That should solve all the problems you have mentioned -- because you won't be able to afford to go there!
    I absolutely agree it should fix the problem, but why stop there? Take it to $125 or use your annual parks pass. It is time the realities of park maintenance should be properly addressed. It will similarly fix the problem in Rocky Mountain National Park as well as many other parks around the country. It is time the people in attendance own a stake in preservation of the outdoor experience. If they cannot get on the bus then they are not deserving of entry. I am tired of the riff raft in parks that do not appreciate the responsibility of individual stewardship credos that are posted but rarely observed and what it takes to properly maintain these facilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    I absolutely agree it should fix the problem, but why stop there? Take it to $125 or use your annual parks pass. It is time the realities of park maintenance should be properly addressed. It will similarly fix the problem in Rocky Mountain National Park as well as many other parks around the country. It is time the people in attendance own a stake in preservation of the outdoor experience. If they cannot get on the bus then they are not deserving of entry. I am tired of the riff raft in parks that do not appreciate the responsibility of individual stewardship credos that are posted but rarely observed and what it takes to properly maintain these facilities.
    If they can't get on the bus they aren't deserving of entry?

The Parks are a US Treasure and many who visit are not able to afford $70, much less $125.

As for Park Maintenance when I worked as a Park Ranger years ago most of the fellow workers of any kind would never, ever stop and do anything that was not their personal job description. Small things were 'call maintenance' when a few minutes cleaning up rockfall, signs pushed over and the like would have taken care of the problem before it got bigger. Instead they would ignore it and let it get bigger.

I do not believe there should be any entrance fee for any US National Park nor for any State Parks. Taxpayers are already paying for them.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    If they can't get on the bus they aren't deserving of entry?

The Parks are a US Treasure and many who visit are not able to afford $70, much less $125.

As for Park Maintenance when I worked as a Park Ranger years ago most of the fellow workers of any kind would never, ever stop and do anything that was not their personal job description. Small things were 'call maintenance' when a few minutes cleaning up rockfall, signs pushed over and the like would have taken care of the problem before it got bigger. Instead they would ignore it and let it get bigger.

I do not believe there should be any entrance fee for any US National Park nor for any State Parks. Taxpayers are already paying for them.
    Getting on the bus is a metaphor for respecting the treasures in the National Park System. The mentality of "we deserve entry" because we are a tax payer is an extension of the mentality of friggin entitlement where nobody feels a need to treat these parks with respect including the Park Rangers. It would take a country minute to weed these wannabes out of there. The increase in entry fees is the best way to solve the problem. The issues of congestion would quickly be resolved in short order. When you really want to go you figure a way to make it work. I think they should also level heavy fines for vandalism and violating the rules of the park as well.