Thread: Newbie needs help with very old camera - can't achieve focus....of anykind

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Newbie needs help with very old camera - can't achieve focus....of anykind

Hello Forum Members,

Please excuse my intrusion if these questions could have been answered by reading prior threads, but I wasn't able to find anything especially relevant during my search. Thanks in advance for any advice, input, coaching, etc.

My father gave me this old camera labeled 'Ansco No. 5 Model D' a while back. I assume it's a 4x5, and since I have some film and holders thought that I would give it a whirl. I have experience with my old Toyo 45 and currently own a Technika III, so am not completely ignorant about large format photography. Admittedly, I am not terribly experienced. Just not brand new. That said, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to focus this camera! I've spent an hour trying everything I can think of and can't get anything in focus. Can't find infinity, can't focus on something 20 feet away, can't.....get anything to pop. It shows that it's getting close to infinity when I pull everything back, but I would guess it's probably an inch away and already collapsed beyond what I would guess is recommended. Any ideas? I'm hoping someone has experience with these and impart some wisdom.

A few photos are attached for your consideration. Thanks again for taking a look.

Cheers!

Stu
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4251.jpg   IMG_4250.jpg   IMG_4255.jpg   IMG_4253.jpg