Thread: Loading metal 9x12 film holders

Loading metal 9x12 film holders

Merry Christmas every one!

I have Mentor Studio Reflex camera that came with a single metal film holder.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9x12_holder.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	173092

I scarified one sheet of the film to try loading it when the lights are on.

As you can see, I managed to do it but it did not happen without difficulties and I am not sure I could manage it in the dark, especially inside the tight changing bag I plan to use.

I had to bend the film first to get it inside both sides and managed to flatten it to get the top end mounted. The other end was very difficult to fit in without folding the film. I did it bending the film back one corner at the time.

Is this what can be considered normal or is there something that I am missing?

PS. If someone has sheet film holders that fit this camera then please send me a message (thickness is 4mm, the side is flat (there is no guide)).

Re: Loading metal 9x12 film holders

From what little I can see, this seems to be a metal film insert inside a plate holder. If so, then I suggest you remove the insert, load the film into the insert, and then place the loaded insert into the plate holder. Inserts I have seen are open at one end so you can slide a sheet of film into it.

The insert might be spring loaded. Try pushing down on it to see if it pops out.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Roberts View Post
    From what little I can see, this seems to be a metal film insert inside a plate holder. If so, then I suggest you remove the insert, load the film into the insert, and then place the loaded insert into the plate holder. Inserts I have seen are open at one end so you can slide a sheet of film into it.
    Indeed, I did not realize first that this part can be removed. It looked to be well enclosed at the initial inspection.

Now I realized that the curved cut on the now identified insert has its purpose and I was able to use it push the insert forward and free the top side of it so it poped out allowing to load the film easily.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9x12_holder_free.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	173093

Taking it out was easy when the film was not inserted but it is more difficult with the film because it will conceal the cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Pere View Post
    The insert might be spring loaded. Try pushing down on it to see if it pops out.
    Yes, this was the trick.

Well you worked this out quite quickly!

You should try and push out the dents in the back of the film sheath. You can easily get more holders of this type, although earlier ones will be without the film sheath. The concealed spring system works well with glass plates, as well.